Poor performances on 97 firebird

Hello,

I have been driving my 1997 firebird ( automatic ) without too many problems until the end of last year when basically I had to have the spark plugs changed as well as the "wire sets". The reason why this had to be done was because the car was "hesitating" when I would accelerate. The work got done by the usual dealer I go to.

Since the replacement, the car is not having that issue anymore BUT the engine has very very poor performances when accelerating, specially when I'm around 2500 - 3000 RPM. I went back to the place and the guys told me there was nothing wrong with the car. I have been using the same type of fuel all the time ( before and after the part change ).

Any idea of what might be going on ?

Reply to
Pascal

two things to check. Is the fuel filter partially plugged? Is the catalytic converter partially plugged?

Reply to
Les Benn

Les,

Thanks for the hints.

Actually, a week after the dealer changed the spark plugs on my car I had to go back because I ran out of fuel ( that was totally my fault, I was not checking my fuel gauge ) and the fuel pump died.

I had it replaced, but since then, I can hear it "whistleling" pretty loudly.

When I went to the dealer to have them check the car performances I told them about the whistleling noise on the fuel pump and they just said there was nothing wrong.

I have the feeling that I should go somewhere else to have this check then.

Thanks again !

Les Benn wrote:

Reply to
Pascal

I forgot to add. Even though they changed the fuel pump on my car, they might have had to unplug the catalytic converter to do this and not plugged it back correctly.

Thanks

Pascal wrote:

Reply to
Pascal