Prolems with my transmission

Ok so I know nothing about cars and the last thing I want to do is take it into a mechanic and just say it's not work. My question is this; I have a 96 Sunfire that is having trouble going into 2nd gear or 3rd gear. All I know is that I can press on the gas and the car doesn't shift and doesn't go any faster then around 20-30km/h. Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? Thanks

~Amanda~

Reply to
AmandaH

Well, yes, and it is your subject line. The problem may be simple, like you have a leak and the fluid is too low, or it may be much worse. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thanks for your reply,

I know that it isn't the transmission fluid as I drove around for a bit and then checked it; it was way above the need to add line. I live in the North so could this just be caused by the transmission being cold? I've been told that it could be something electrical as well. I guess at this point the best thing that I can do is take it in to a transmission place and get them to look it over and PRAY for the best.

Thanks,

~Amanda~

Reply to
AmandaH

When was the last time you changed the filter and fluid in the transmission?

Reply to
L benn

I got the car from my sister, so in truth I'm not sure. I am pretty sure by this point that there isn't anything wrong with the transmission itself do to the fact that when I press on the gas pedal the engine doesn't rev, it just doesn't go. It only seems to do this on large hills, after let it warm up for about 10 minutes. So I am starting to think that it could be the fluid or filter. I am going to take it into Canadian Tire tomorrow; I guess I will see then

Thanks,

~Amanda~

Reply to
AmandaH

Amanda, I would highly advise against taking your car into Canadian Tire. I am in Ontario, and I have been ripped off by Canadian Tire on multiple occasions. If I were you, I would find a trusted mechanic, or garage. They are much better. Canadian Tire will take you for all your money, and still ask for more. They will find 'problems' where none exist. If it's your only option, just make sure you know 100% what they are doing with your car before they do it, but if you can avoid it, take it somewhere else. Just my 2 cents. :-)

Reply to
80 Knight

Have you checked the fuel filter? It could be plugged up and thus not getting enough fuel. I have also heard from other Canadians that they got ripped off big time by Canadian Tire.

If you take it to them tell them you want the fluid changed and new filter for the transmission and have them change the fuel filter. It never hurts to change those filters anyways so you are not wasting money. Drive the car after that is done to see if you can make it up a hill. If not then you are going to be ready for some expensive repairs.

Maybe take it to a local dealer for these repairs the cost will likely be the same.

Reply to
L benn

I would just like to say thank you for everyone's advise on this. I took my car into a mechanic and the problem was caused by a few different things:

1) The fuel Filter was rusted and clogged, I was told that it looked as if it had never been changed; the car is now 10years old 2) Wires & Plugs, the wires were so bad that when they went to check them they pulled right away from the plugs 3) I also burned out the starter trying to start it one night (my bad)

The total bill (labor and parts) was about $650, but I tell you that she is purring like a kitten now, lol

Thanks again, ~Amanda~

Reply to
AmandaH