84 DL Auto Transmission probs

I have a 1984 volvo DL, Automatic transmission. When I'm in 4th gear and it's downshifts to 3rd, sometimes it briefly goes into 2nd gear before shifting in to 3rd. On the upshift it will briefly go into 2nd gear before shifting to 4th. This doesn't happen all the time, but often enough I concerned. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Reply to
Mel

Do you know which transmission you have? The ZF shifter shows 4 forward gears, while the BW has 3 gears plus an overdrive button.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

There isn't a whole lot you can do. Make sure the fluid level is correct, and the fluid is not burnt. The kickdown cable sometimes get sticky and can cause delayed shifting. However, a sticky kickdown cable wouldn't cause shifting out of order. For that something must be sticking in the valve body, maybe clean fluid will fix that.

Reply to
Mike F

The 200 series never got the ZF transmissions so he has an AW70.

Reply to
James Sweet

I agree with Mike F. I'd suggest, though, that if you decide you need a new (or used) transmission because changing the fluid didn't work, that you first add a bottle of 'Trans Medic'. It might dissolve varnish buildup in the valve body, and you'd have nothing to lose. The AW-70 trans is tough, and doesn't usually suffer failures in the major components, just the add-on bits. I just 'ressurected' one this year with a rebuilt O/D engagement solenoid.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

Gentlemen, thank you for your input. I have the transmission with the button on the shifter. I forgot to tell you I have 517,000 miles on the car and this is my second transmission.

My mechanic told me he added cleaner, and drove it for a while. He changed the fluid too. I'll try the Trans Medic. My mechanic quoted me $600 for a used transmissi> >

Reply to
Mel