Question about air intake

One of my friends was telling me that I can remove the resonator (aka Bong) from the air intake tube of my 98 Grand AM SE in order to get a deeper throaty sound from my exhaust. Is there any disadvantage to this (ie poor gas mileage, shorter engine life) or is it without consequence?

Thanks

Reply to
Nicholas Wittebol

Your friend is confused (not unusual I'm sure). If you remove the resonator from your intake, you'll get a throaty sound from your intake.

Reply to
Joe

No real disadvantages, your talking about the resonator that is down in the bumper cover right?

Reply to
Paradox

Reply to
Nicholas Wittebol