question concerning octane (gas)??for gm

i have a question that i have been wondering about,i drive a lot of highway miles to work a day(62 round trip)and with the super high cost of gas( a ton of bull crap )someone out at work perposed to me that the higher octane gas,even though cost more will burn slower and cleaner and perhaps give more mileage then the low grade unleaded making it more suitable to buy and better performance wise,mileage wise and motor wise,no doubt that it is better for my (3.4)as far as performance,cleaning ability,but will it get me more mileage as far as it burning slower?? thanks

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Using anything higher than what is recommended in the owners manual is a WASTE of money. Unless your car is designed to use high octane fuel, you will not reap any benefits from slower burning, harder to ignite fuel. The inverse is more likely.

Reply to
Weird

Want more info:

Goggle this

gas octane myths

Reply to
Weird

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

There are two schools of thought on this, and both can be proven - depending on the vehicle and a few other factors. Today's computer controlled vehicles can seamlessly retard timing to compensate for low octane fuel - and SOME benefit from using the higher octane stuff. If you have an OBD2 reader you can chech spark retard - and if it is noticeable higher octane WILL help.Running more advance makes the engine more efficient. With some of the older cars I've owned - like SL6 Mopars and 2TC Toyotas, I found using the high octane fuel ( and tuning for it) DID deliver higher fuel mileage - and in the eighties the difference in mileage more than made up for the difference in cost. Today the premium paid for high-test is large enough I strongly doubt enough mileage could be gained to pay the difference.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Check out the Gasoline FAQ:

« Paul =?is