Re: 97 sunfire theftlock

I have a 97 Cavalier; I got it a few days ago and it didn't have a radio so I privately bought one from a 96 Sunfire. Aside from having to modify the mounting brackets the installation went well. Figuring out the theftlock code is another matter.I followed the exact procedure outlined and when I called the number listed and punched in the number as instructed I kept getting a message that the code is invalid. I can see the purpose behind having a lock code but not having the code really complicates the installation. It seems to be more trouble than it is worth and I will be installing an aftermarket stereo that doesn't use a lock code and avoids all the frustration!

-- Message posted using

information at

Tazzyman

Must be the incorrect code. Where did you get it? Did you buy the radio from a trusted source, or did the seller have stolen radio and a made up code?

Reply to
doane_nut

Which number are you talking about? The last time I used this method, I called the number, it asked me for Pontiac, Olds, Buick, etc. I pressed the number for Buick (if memory serves), then it asks for the dealer number, so I punched that in too, then I pushed in the 6 digit code from the radio. The only problem I had is if you have a dealer code from a Pontiac dealer, and you press the button for Oldsmobile (the first step) it will say invalid code. You need to use the correct code (Pontiac, Olds, Buick, Chevy, etc) that goes with the type of dealer you got the number from.

Reply to
80 Knight