Re: Last Olds you bought?

Actually the Aurora V8 was of the Northstar family which belongs to Cadillac. Olds just had to make it smaller so they wouldnt be cutting into cadillacs market. I liked the first gen aurora's. Wouldnt mind finding one of those with low miles. The last ones they made looked foreign. Since Olds is gone the upcoming Bonneville GXP will be getting that very engine now.

1979 Toronado Diesel. Bought on the cheap with 53,000 miles on the clock. > Drove it to 87,000, converted to gas, drove to 150,000 and took to the > crusher. Very handsome sofa-on-wheels car. Really great in snow. Liked it so > well I bought a.... > 1981 Toronado gas. Had the first-year digitally controlled carb. Worked > perfectly. Paid $500 for it with 114,000 on the clock. Drove it to 145,000 > and gave it to the Salvation Army. > Both these cars went through front suspension parts regularly, but other > than that were pretty reliable. > 1989 Cutlass Supreme bought new and drove to 172,000 with no problems. Still > drove like a new car when my wife decided to get herself a car, which meant > something had to go. Probably had another 10 years life left in it. But > mechanically it was a Chevy. > > Oldsmobile really had a great brand going, particularly in the engineering > department. They had the most durable engines, or at least as good as > anybody's. I don't know where they lost their way. GM doesn't allow much > mechanical differentiation any more, but Olds was allowed to have its own > engine program with the Aurora V8. I don't think that was the problem. I > think mainly the styling was too bland. > > My oldest son has a '94 Cutlass Supreme, closing in on 200k miles and > going > > strong. Our two older boys share a '95 Old's Ciera at College. Both cars > are > > super dependable. The '95 has about 60k miles on it, it was low milage > when > > we bought it from my FIL. It makes 600 mile round trips every few months, > > as does the Cutlass. They've put 21k miles on the car in a little over a > > year. > > > > We do make sure they get their oil changes and good maintanance, but > nothing > > really odd has gone wrong with either car. > > > > Our other two cars are a '97 Malibu bought new, and a 2003 Vibe, also > bought > > new. I drove an '85 Astro for almost 15 years. Man I miss that van. > > > > Melissa > > > > > > > 90 Olds cutlass supreme. Still running! with a boatload of miles. > > > > > > news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

we had an Oldsmobile continuously in our driveway from 1981-2001

1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cruiser Brougham wagon, no woodgrain, bought 1981, sold 1990.

traded for 1980 Oldsmobile 98 in 1990. engine in the wagon had a bad camshaft at @70,000 miles...... the 98 was one owner,and 49,000 miles.

dad died, and I inherited the 98 in 1994..... Iimmediately sold it for $600, and used that as a downpayment on

1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 door, blue, v-6, drove it 1994 to 1997. a friend needed a car,so I took her car shopping...... big mistake.....

saw a 1986 Oldsmobile cutlass Supreme 4-door, grey,with cruise control, and working air conditioning...... v-6 also.... bought it January 1997...... cash, no trade

oh,the blue 82 Cutlass?? my frend bought it, and drove it till 2000, when she left town,last time I saw the car was in 2001, 176,000 miles , still rolling

sold the grey 86 in 2001, when I went to Arizona,,,,, just saw this car last week forthe first time since I sold it, so I know its still running...... :)

Reply to
mark hoffman

Let's hope that Bob Lutz NEVER lets that happen.........

Reply to
Chris Moore

AMEN!!!!

Reply to
skipcar

First & Only Olds

August 11, 1996 - Buick Used Car lot - Bought a 1978 Olds Holiday 88 2 door, $1995.00 with 89,000 miles on it. 350 - 4 barrel carb. Stolen 3 months after purchase, recovered one day later. Sold it in 1991 for $900.00 with 196,000 miles on it. Discovered the car in the junkyard in August of 2003 with 329,000 miles on it. Painted in yellow on the LR Quarter panel were the words Motor Junk - Water In Oil.

I got some pictures of the car in the junkyard if anyone wants to see them e- mail me.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,049 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face