Upper Middle Class=America car enemies

Drive through any neighbourhood in an urban or suburban area and the driveway's tell the story. The people buying the foreign vehicles are the upper middle class. Those earning
(families) about $80,000 or more per year. Their driveways inevitably have Toyotas, Nissans, Acuras, BMWs and Hondas in them. Why? Because they buy what their friends buy because it is expected of them. The rich have always bought foreign cars, but they don't represent enough of a percentage of the public to do any harm to American car makers. However, someone who at one time would have been buying a Lincoln is now buying a mid-level BMW. The idea would not even occur to them to buy the Lincoln. In rural areas, you tend to see far more American cars as a percentage of the cars on the road, but it is the urbanites who control the market and they have shifted to the foreign. It has gone beyond the idea of higher quality; If you are upper middle class and buy a American car, you are practically ostracized by your peers. The sad thing is, quality, what first made people switch over, is now a secondary reason. Quality in all cars (for the most part) is now excellent. You don't even have to do maintenance except to change the oil in your car. So given that, and the fact that foreign cars cost a mint when they do need repairs, why do Americans of a certain class buy them? Peer pressure, pure and simple. Their young buy "tuners" or 4-cylinder rice mobiles, so it begins at a very early age. The only bright spot in the equation is that 4x4s and pickup trucks which (of course) the Americans pioneered as popular vehicles are selling in most brands, but the foreigners are taking more of that market too. However, fuel costs could drive Americans more into the camp of the foreign trucks because the foreign move to powerful v8 engines has been slow in coming. They still mostly have 6's and their "economy" might be used as a selling point to take more market share from American vehicles. Given the importance of the auto industry in the economic scheme of things, and now that the jobs of some upper middle classers (computer programmers, etc) have started moving offshore like the production jobs have done for years, I wonder why some Americans do whatever they can to AVOID buying domestic vehicles? Yes, I know some of them are built here; So what? Buying them still undermines U.S. industry. All so the upper mids can have that Sonoma or Maxima parked on their freshly coated driveways. -Rich
<all kinds of interesting stuff, but sniped> Good point you made, but would you buy a Taurus over a Maxima? A Malibu over and Accord? An Intrepid over a Camry? Those are the family cars that middle class America is probably looking at as a family truckster. The domestics don't have much of an offering when it comes to excitement. Only in the past year or two has Cadillac had an offering that was even remotely interesting to the under 65 crowd. Lincoln produced the LS, and it's a nice car. But look at the competition in this price range...BMW, Lexus, Acura. The driving excitement factor appears to be much higher on products coming from the other side of the pond. The silver lining in the cloud...for the people that have to own the BIGGEST of the BIG SUVs, Ford and GM are really the only choices. Oh yeah...and Hummer. All domestics.
--
-Keith
'96 GT 5spd ... with an '02 engine

Anybody that buys a Toyota for the excitement needs an adjustment in their depression medication. Even the Japanese make fun of what a boring line of cars Toyota makes (my Japanese friends do).
John

lol...OK, bad comparison on that one. Actually, those weren't necessarily for excitement, but for quality comparisons. The Camry engine is an extremely smooth running machine.
--
-Keith
'96 GT 5spd ... with an '02 engine

Joe Cilinceon

hrm. I think alot of people reading this mustang newsgroup probably are into that group income wise. Hint: you can't tell a person's income by the car he's driving. There are some people who are neck deep in debt putting on a show and then there are those who do quite well and don't feel the need to show off. I occasionally flirt with the idea of buying a really expensive car or maybe renting one for awhile just to compare and contrast how people react compared to when I drive my other cars.

You might want to take a look at the various marques that vanished in the 1930s or shortly thereafter before you make that "always" comment. And those were cars that couldn't be bought by just mere upper middle class either.

So which is correct they always bought foreign cars or they didn't. Your troll is getting mixed up.

On what planet? I've never been ostracized by anyone for driving what I have. Although I think a couple women didn't like my winter beater much, but that's a different story, and its one dem foreign cars....

Do a compartive drive for yourself sometimes. When it comes to bread and butter sedans the big three do some things that tend to turn some people off. I don't know a domestic I would buy in that segment, if I needed such a car. My favorite is still ford, but it's built in another country and not for sale in the USA. And that's the problem, the marketeers and finance people that run the US automakers don't seem to understand that their 'rest of the world' product is desirable here. Hell they don't even know how to sell it. Their latest attempt is the new GTO. The easiest one yet not to f'up. Let's see if GM can manage not to.

GM as I here now has a nice inline 6 for their truck line.

You mean like buying a mazda (majority owned and controlled by ford) built in Flat Rock, MI, USA?
Alot of dem foreign cars are part of Ford and GM. And don't forget the littlest of big three is now owned by a foreign company. Cars are pretty much global now. If you care about supporting your neighbor buy a car that is made in a plant in the USA. This not only keeps production people employed but the engineers, designers, office folk etc that work in the US design centers and corporate offices.
Frankly, all I care about is that the car is made in a country with solid labor and environmental practices, just like any other product. After that it's who has the best product for the best price that I like.
Funny thing, Hubs and I fit that financial stereotype... with one exception.
3 Fords and a Larson in our driveway. Not an import in sight.
I couldn't give a rat's ass what the neighbors drive.
If you're so compelled to bash American quality (with your european spelling of neighborhood being a tad suspect) then I suspect you have some ulterior motive, such as pissing people off.
Go drive your import, get off of my leg.
Kate
[...]
I am upper middle class (at least in earning power), and I have a Mustang GT convertible and a Subaru Baja in my driveway. I drive the Mustang because I like Mustangs, and I have the Baja because I need 4 wheel drive several months of the year and it was the only 4X4 that my wife could get into (sliding from her wheelchair to car seat). I could not give a rat's ass what my neighbor drive, own or push.

Hey Ralph, you have a LOT of class!
It's all low,
but ya got lots of it *wink*
just ribbin ya, it was a freebie he he he snikker giggle smirk.
Kate
[...]
I've gotta be me, I've gotta be me......

percentage
jobs
started
wonder
Buying
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:12:48 GMT, "Ralph Snart"

NO!
You can't be me..I'm me..you gotta be you.
But if you are me then I must be somebody else. If I'm somebody else instead of me.... then my wife is sleeping with somebody else and not me..the tramp!
I'm so confused... I can't even ask for help...cuz if I say "HELP ME" then they will help you cuz you are me and if I say "HELP SOMEBODY ELSE"..then who knows what will happen
AAAGGH!
Matt (i think) 89 5.0 GT Vert 00 Chevy Impala 01 Saturn 94 Ford Ranger XL 02 Yamaha VSTAR Silverado
All bought because I wanted them..not cuz my neighbors did!
Matt.. hon... ya goot lay off the caffeine!
:()
Kate
wrote: | | >I've gotta be me, I've gotta be me...... | > | | NO! | | You can't be me..I'm me..you gotta be you. | | But if you are me then I must be somebody else. If I'm somebody else | instead of me.... then my wife is sleeping with somebody else and not | me..the tramp! | | I'm so confused... I can't even ask for help...cuz if I say "HELP ME" | then they will help you cuz you are me and if I say "HELP SOMEBODY | ELSE"..then who knows what will happen | | | AAAGGH! | | | Matt (i think) | 89 5.0 GT Vert | 00 Chevy Impala | 01 Saturn | 94 Ford Ranger XL | 02 Yamaha VSTAR Silverado | | All bought because I wanted them..not cuz my neighbors did!
Or double the Prozac dose....

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:29:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@someemailaddress.notcom wrote:

Matt,
Just remember that "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"...
Hope this clears things up, Scott
On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 06:37:39 GMT, "SVTKate"

My import is a 2001 GT Mustang. I guess since it came from...Kentucky? It's an import. -Rich
On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:06:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@rrogers.com wrote:

    Rich, you're Canadian - any US made car is an import to you. And in KY we make Corvettes and Toyotas, kiddo - I think Mustangs are made in Mexico, but can't say for certain.     Emanuel
--
Sony VAIO 505 info - http://home.att.net/~epbrown01/sony505.html
Hey careful Kate! I spell neighbour, honour, colour, donour etc. It's not European It's English. Never call and Englishman a European, sheesh!!! ;^) StuK

Whoops!
How's "Furryner" ??? LOL!
[...]
I would choke my husband for a BMW 5 series family hauler...and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
But I wouldn't mind a Lincoln LS either...
Cindy '96 laser red auto GTS http://www.erikssonstunnbrod.se/stang/home.htm