Will Camaro Be able to Whup the Dodge Challenger Hemi??

Will Camaro be able to Whup the Challenger and Mustang? It will be like

1969 again only with $3 a gallon gas! Bring it on!
Reply to
Oil Can Harry

If the Camaro has less than the Challenger's 425 HP then the Dodge Boy's will win again!

Read a little article on the new Challenger in the latest Road & Track magazine. Its not a 100% done deal that the Challenger will be built. There waiting to hear from audience reaction at the upcoming Auto Show in Detroit / Chicago, NY, LA, etc.

I like the look of the Challenger. It looks like 1970. I'm not sure I care for the cropping off of the headlight tops seen in the RT magazine. That's kind of a BMW thing, I've noticed a few BMW with cropped headlights.

I also like the full width tail light assembly and overall body shape. The carbon pile hood stripes & the hood scoops look pretty sporty to.

I would like the car better if there was a button on the dash to make the roof disappear.

In April 1980 I wanted to buy a base model 70 Challenger convertible when I was a Sr. in high school but the old man said I had to be out of HS like my brothers were before they bought their first cars. I only had two months to go before graduation, for christ sake. The Dodge's owner lived on the next block and he wouldn't hold it for two more months. The car was also kept in Florida during the winter months.

Their asking price was $1400 in 1980. It only had 36,000 miles on its

318 V8. Perfect body, paint & interior. It was yellow with a black interior & a black custom " Leather " top.

Needless to say somebody else bought the car and drove it away very happy.

Some other car's I also got rooked out of buying in 1979 / 80 because of my dad stubborness or his just not liking the car's I was interested in were:

A 1966 Cadillac DeVille convertible for $800. The car was solid & a good runner. Looked great except for one quarter size rust spot on the RR quarter panel. I saw this car like 8 years after I wanted to buy it & it still looked great.

Then there was the 69 or 70 Olds 98 Convertible with a 455 V8 at a Chevy dealer for $1500 Gorgeous condition too. Aqua Firemist with a white interior & top. 50,000 miles, one owner.

I looked at a nice 71 Buick Centurion 455 Convertible, maroon with a white top & white interior. Found out after a second visit with a knowledgable friend it was a burned out car that had been rebuilt - Good thing pop didn't see that one, the inside of the quarter panels were completely scorched.

Oh well, its been fun running back down memory lane again.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 33,175 91 Bonneville LE 305,279
Reply to
Harry Face

I'm not sure how much the new Challenger / Camaro will weigh, but the new Camaro will have the aluminum LS2 motor in it with 400 HP, so it is about 25 HP short of the HEMI motor. I think it is anyone's race depending on how much both vehicles weigh in. I agree that it is exciting though.

------------------------------------ Mike Mangione

xblazinlv

What about the torque? : ) Chevy's been known for some pretty torquey numbers.

-CC

xblaz> I'm not sure how much the new Challenger / Camaro will weigh, but the

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

Uhh...I think the audience has already spoken.

Reply to
Oil Can Harry

Mike, where did you get that LS2 engine option for the Camaro? Is there a link you could refer us to? I had only heard about the concept Camaro and the link I have says, "Under the hood, the concept Camaro shares an aluminum 6.0-liter engine with the Chevrolet Corvette C6 race car." I knew that was inaccurate because the C6-R has a 7 liter small block, which in Z06 trim is called the LS7. Heck, the 2006 Z06 puts out 505 hp, so the C6-R would be a lot more than that. I think that the 2005 C6-R was rated at a modest 570 bhp. It's not inconceivable that GM would put the C6-R engine in a concept Camaro, but I doubt that it would ever make it into production. In any event, a link to your source would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reply to
Cool Jet