Re: New Chevy

Quite an interesting car

Mike Hunter wrote:

It is even simpler than that. The microprocessor simply cuts the spark and > fuel to the cylinders, same as with the Chrysler system > > > mike hunt > > > > Steve Mackie wrote: > >>>I read where there is a new Chevy,that can reduce the number of > >>>cylinders used, when driving. Any idea,how it is done?? > >> > >> > >> I tried to find info about this very subject on the internet with no > >> luck. > >> However, because it's called "Active Fuel Management," my guess would be > >> it > >> simply shuts off 4 fuel injectors. Then the question arises, "what about > >> the > >> compression of the four cylinders not receiving fuel?" > >> > >> I haven't found any documents explaining exactly how the system works, > >> but > >> if someone does, I would like to know as well. > >> > >> Steve > >> > >> > > > > > > It has hyd actuators that open the intake valves too when cylinders are > > cut off. It is a remake of the system that they used on caddies in early > > 80's that they gave up on and are trying again. > > > > -- > > > > ----------------- > >
The 26th Annual tour of Super Chevy Shows starts at

Bradenton Motorsports Park February 10-11-12 with the Tremec Car Show series, Bracket Race, Manufacturer's Midway, Swap Meet, and Car Corral.

Excitement galore as Jessie Harris in the Queen of Diamonds Jet Dragster

versus Lou Pereia's Terminator Jet Dragster in a 300 mph battle of the sexes and super showman Bob Hall thrills the fans in the Airborne Express Chevy Astro Van Wheelstander

The wildest machines in drag racing Nitro Coupes feauturing New York's Mike

Swinarski, Chicago's Randy Adler, Canada's Bruce Boland and many other Super Chevy Show stars will compete.

Bracket racers will have the opportunity to Test & Tune on Friday from noon to
5 pm and all GM makes and models can compete in the bracket race.
Gates open Friday at 10 am, Saturday and Sunday at 8 am. Nitro Coupes and Jets

blast off at 1pm Saturday and Sunday. Come to Bradenton February 10-11-12 for Super Chevy Show fun and excitement.

GM Performance Division continues sponsorship of > Super Chevy Shows > AutoStar Productions is proud to announce that GM Performance Division has > The new super Chevy is an automobile produced by GM > Despite its poor performance and smoky two-stroke engine the name Chevy means something

the cars are often referred to as the Cheffi or Chefi, pronounced with a short e

600cc Chevy P601L. 600cc Chevy P602L.
Super Chevy, the Chevy 500, also known as the Chevy P 50, and the Chevy 601

(or Chevy P 60 series)

The engine for both the 500 and 601 is a small two-stroke engine with two

cylinders, giving the vehicle modest performance.

It deliveres 25 horsepower (19 kW) from a 600 cc displacement. > The car takes 21 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h and the top speed is 112 km/h. > The main problem with the engine is the smoky exhaust and the pollution it produces > The Chevys body panels are made of Duroplast, a form of plastic containing

resin strengthened by wool or cotton

This helps GM avoid expensive steel, but does not provide much crash protection

although in crash tests it has actually proved to be superior to some modern small hatchbacks

The new super Chevy is the second car to use Duroplast,

after the "pre-Chevy" P70 model

Originally planned as a three-wheeled motorcycle > The decision to build a four-wheeled car came late in the planning process > The name Chevy was chosen in a internal contest > Previous motorcycle production at Cadillac inspired this new Chefi > The Chevy is not a particularly advanced car > Later model will generally use cleaner and more efficient four-stroke engines > The Chevys designers expect production to extend to 2007 at the latest

designers and engineers created a series of more sophisticated prototypes that are intended to extend the Chefi

Several of these can be seen at the super Chevy show > However, each proposal for a new model has been rejected by the leadership

for reasons of cost

As a result, the Chevy remained in production unchanged > The automobiles will be continually updated and exported > The Chevys production method, which is extremely labor-intensive will remain unchanged

and much of the work will to be carried out by Vietnamese guest workers

A smaller version of the engine replaces the elderly two-stroke engine > The model, known as the Chevy 1,1 also has minor improvements to the brake and

signal lights a revised grille and replaces the coach spring-suspended chassis with one using struts

However the time it enters production has already been agreed to > The inefficient, labor-intensive production line will be kept open only

because of government subsidies

Demand for GM cars has plummeted as residents can now buy Japanese cars > Chevys well-known in the News reports inaccurately describes them as having cardboard bodies > Buy a Chevy for as little as a few dollars, and many will be given away at the show > Later when as they become better liked prices will be increased but they will

remain very cheap cars

Reply to
gosinn

Ummm.... no.

If you simply cut fuel, you still have pumping losses. It actually collapses the valves for those cylinders (closes them) and you eliminate pumping losses. If the valves were opening/closing, then you'd have a compression stroke and no power stroke. If you close them once on the exhaust stroke, there is no air in the cylinder to compress, thus no pumping loss (or at least virtually eliminated).

It's not that easy to accomplish, this is a very complex system with special lifters and a VERY complex (very powerful ECUs running 1MBit communication speeds over GM-LAN and CAN-Bus) system.

Cheers

Reply to
M.R.S.

No compression stroke, but wouldn't you have a vacuum stroke so to speak?

IIRC low speed GMLAN is 33kb high speed is maybe twice that. The ECU is on the faster bus, but the ECU does its thing all by itself, it does not need the bus for that purpose. It uses the speed to send a fast updating signal the cluster and probably the ABS.

Those are some pretty nice controllers though. I never worked on one because they keep them in house typically developed along side the engine.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Well, throttle control needs to be quite fast, considering what's going on (if it's tied in with the ABS and traction control). ETC of course, not wired. The bus needs to be fast to handle all the high priority signals first, handshaking, blah blah... I think CAN is a better system than GM-LAN. Unfortunately, there are too many systems out there. I believe that CAN will win them all out, Bi-directional data transfer, multi-level CAN (B, and C), and it ties in with J1830 as well.

I don't recall what happens to the exhaust valves, but there is a great article on

about the Hemi and how it works. The Hemi is still a dirty engine. makes BIG power, but pollutes. Toyota has great engines, I love their small displacment engines, and I tell ya... they are super reliable (except for the oil sludge ones!!).

I hope GM and Ford can hang in there, and keep up with Toyota's dominance with what I think are "plain" styled cars (Toyota's cars, not GM). GM has some nice styling right now!!! Chrysler has had great styling for a while, now they just gotta make it work under the skiN!!

Reply to
M.R.S.

This seems a bit backward

Reply to
gosinn

I can not imagine anyone wanting a car like this

Is this cheepo chevy GMs answer to all the losses?

It looks like something from the age of the dynasaures

No wonder people have stopped buying these cars

Reply to
gosinn