Newer engine with an older transmission

Is it possible to put a newer Chevy engine with an my older rebuilt toyota transmission? I drive a 1987 Toyota Truck 4wheel drive 22R motor 5 speed transmission. I got my transmission rebuilt last March and now my engine is shoot. If it is possible how would I go along the lines of doing so? What would I need?

Reply to
bjv7203

A place to start:

Here ishome page for Downey Off-Road
Adaptors site here:
All found with yahoo search for Toyota Pickup engine conversions.

Reply to
Jarhead

Jarhead's post leads you to /how/ to do it, but you have one more important item to consider before you start - do you have to get the car smogged when you are done?

California residents (and a few other urban areas) have to get the car smog checked every year or two - and if they see the engine swap on the physical inspection (and they will...) there are a whole raft of things that have to be done right, and you have to be able to prove it - or your car does not pass, therefore no license plates. That can throw a huge monkey wrench in your plans.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Pick up a 7mgte cheap from one of the importers and throw that in. A much better swap, I think. (straight 6 turbocharged, can be found in older supras and cressidas)

Reply to
Johann Koenig

What about the 1UZE Toyota 32 Valve V8? Heap of torque revs all day stock and its still toyota so smog gear may just be compatible.

This is the Lexus/Soarer/Windom motor.

Reply to
Scotty

I just don't like V's :P

Plus, whats it weigh? Obviously, a straight 6 is going to weigh more than a straight 4, but I don't know where the V8 fits in.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

The 1UVE weight less than the 3VZE 3 litre 4Runner motor! Its an all alloy motor that has 6bolt mains .... hang on, I'll add a snippet from an article for you eh................ read on and once you research it these motors grow on you.......... Im just short of cash to do it due to family commitments otherwise Id be doing that swap as soon as I could.

Scotty (This is taken from

Lexus performance and engineering is proving popular with hot rod and race car enthusiasts, displacing larger American-based engines in a recent competitive racing event.

A modified Lexus LS400 V8 engine has claimed victory at Willowbank Raceway's Supercharged Outlaws drag racing series in Queensland - over vehicles with much larger engines. It was the smallest capacity engine in the class.

In the first Lexus win in the sport, Team Capricorn's four-litre (240 cubic inch) Lexus Piranha Hot Rod consistently beat competitors powered by eight-litre (500 cubic inch) engines.

Driven by Nathan Peirano, the supercharged Lexus hot rod will compete again at the inaugural meeting of the Western Sydney International Dragway, at Eastern Creek on February 6, 7 and 8.

Car owners Peter and Heather Peirano are among a growing number of hot rod show car and drag racing enthusiasts favouring high-performing, lightweight Lexus engines over the more common Chevrolet, Chrysler and Ford powerplants.

Mr Peirano said the attraction of the Lexus engine was its quality design and engineering.

"These engines are so superior in their initial design - they come standard with six-bolt main bearing caps and a steel crank."

"This makes the engine easy to modify and lets it rev very freely. The bottom end of this engine is so strong, and the top end can generate incredible horsepower," said Mr Peirano.

The Lexus LS400 engine's Quad Cam multi-valve configuration allows the supercharged drag racing version to exceed 9000rpm and to generate 1000 horsepower (745kW) - or four times the power of the original LS400 engine.

The drag race engine's power could be boosted in future to a mammoth 1600hp (1200kW).

Its six-bolt main bearing and steel crank configuration is preferable to the Chevrolet V8's standard two-bolt, or more often used four-bolt, as it needs much less modification to achieve high performance.

"Working with Chevrolet, you need to buy an after-market crankshaft and generally the best they have is four-bolt mains," said Mr Peirano.

Nathan Peirano drove a consistent series of passes at Willowbank, culminating in an 8.27-second time for the standing quarter mile and a win in the final over Darryl Woods' 7.67 litre Ford.

Nathan is a former Australian Go Kart champion. He has driven in the modified class for one year, but this is his first year competing in Supercharged Outlaws.

Lexus engines are also being increasingly used for both hot rod show cars and race cars in Australia and internationally.

The LS400 engine is proving popular with hot rod show cars, especially for its fuel economy. One Lexus-powered rebuilt 1934 Ford Coupe is achieving approximately 600km from a 65-litre tank.

Reply to
Scotty