Running engine without mufflers

What would happen if you drive without mufflers? What effects would it have on the engine?

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

Very annoyed people.

Are you including cat. conv.?

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

What bonneville said. Also your local noise pollution laws may not allow it. depending on where the pipe is cut, you could get back pressure.

Reply to
clevere

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Depends on pipe length. If the pipes are short you will need to prevent too rapid valve cooldown on shutdown.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Er ... To short a pipe causes pop - pop when decelerating.

Reply to
clevere

Yes, from lack of backpressure. Very high flow mufflers do the same. GW (whose GTO goes snap-crackle-pop, with it's Dynomax set-up)

clevere wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

The biggest problem would be burnt exhaust valves all engines have a certain amount of backpressure engineered into their run characteristics.

Jim.J

Reply to
Sa. J

I was just curious. I installed a set of dynomax performance mufflers with tips and it sounds about the same as if the car had no mufflers at all. The dynomax setup is just a temp until I have the money for the SLP Loudmouth system

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00