sticking pressure control solenoid..AGAIN :(

I live in Ontario Canada. I have a 2000 Pontiac Montana minivan with 101,000 km. In September/04 I took it to the dealership because I noticed, on occasion, i.e. not always, that the auto transmission would have harsh, very noticeable shifts and one could hear a whine from the engine/transmission during acceleration.

It took me a month or more to bring in the car because not always would the problem occur. And when it did occur it would often stop if I turned the car off and then restarted!. Eventually I was able to drive it to the dealership during an episode :) and get a rep to drive with me. They diagnosed it as a problem with a sticking pressure control solenoid with the sticking due to sediment build up (I am looking at my September/04 invoice). So almost $700 Canadian later it was fixed.

It is now March/05 just over 6 months later and 12,000 km more and the same problem has reappeared! :( It wont take me as long this time to bring it in as I recognize the same symptoms.

I did a bit of googling and found this appropriate TSB # 00-07-30-002B

Does it make sense that this problem should occur again so soon with so little kms?

Thanks for your experience.

Reply to
Doug Mitchell

The TSB talks about a series of tests that obviously none of us can run over the internet, so we have no way of knowing if indeed the correct diagnosis was made the first time or if that part has failed again. Luckily yours should be under a warranty for one year from when the dealer worked on it. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

An update. A service manager did say the solenoid was not defective but the codes indicated that it was indeed sticking open. But this time, unlike last time he says, the transmission fluid in the pan shows metal filings and it is this that causes the solenoid to stick. So he recommends draining and completely changing the transmission fluid rather than taking the transmission apart at this point.

What are the chances that there is no more metal; that there isn't a more serious problem with this automatic transmission? I am so frustrated with the unreliability of this vehicle.

We recently put >

engine/transmission

Reply to
Doug Mitchell