strange problem, need some advise.

Thanks for reading.

91 Sunbird. 3.1

Has the strange stock radio.

I have an aftermarket MP3/cd-cd-rw player and the Manual (chiltons, or whatever...lol forget the name) says that the new radio will go where the tape deck is. So it was already unhooked.

I had already purchased the harness to fit the cars stock plugs, wired to my head unit.

Pulled the dash apart, removed the fron (seems like just a remote actually) and behind was the actual radio. I disconnected the plugs, plugged to the head unit.

Powered on, everything checked out.

few days ago my wife said there was no dash lights.

I checked the fuse, it was blown. I replaced it with a 5 am as what it called for. Everything was fine.

At night, turned the lights on, and as soon as I tried to adjust brightness of dash lights, the fuse blew again.

replaced with 7.5 amp to see if outcome would be different. Blew again.

All I did was unplug the two wires from the stock unit, pluged them into my new harness, and now this is happening.

Any help please!!!

Reply to
Ragtop

I had that same exact experience changing to a different year model GM radio. The radio somehow is involved in dimming the dash lights on some of these cars. I had a Cutlass Supreme. What I figured out was the radio passed the dash dimming along to the bulbs on the dash. My dash was a mixture of flourescent LCD stuff and actual light bulbs. When the fuse blew, the digital stuff went to daytime bright (all the time) and the bulbs of course all went out.

So I say that to just suggest that it can't be helped. If you cut the wire that is trying to tell your aftermarket radio to dim the lights, you may be okay. I wasn't, because, as I said, the original radio passed the dimming information along to all the bulbs somehow. Once I cut the wire, they never dimmed again.

Reply to
Joe