Synthetic Oil - Huge Marketing SCAM ??

Obviously you missed my point. Do the math, theres about 4/5ths of that oil with 8000 miles on it between changes. NOT 4000! No since in trying to convence you of anything so why should I bother.

Or you missed my point! Where can you get synthetic for only twice the price (or actually 4/5*2 the price) of dyno? So what's the cheapest, and since 'your' method requires a filter change every 4k miles, unscrewing the oil plug isn't that much more work.

Reply to
Baudolino

Neighbour has over 700000km on his GM pickup. No Synth, no oil consumption, changes oil every8000 km (5000 miles) when highway driving, every 5000km when not. Highway driving is minimum 65 miles at a time, to and from work, every day.

Absolutely NO TEFLON in synthetic engine oil.

I've had engines apart with 400000km, on regular oil - that you could still see the crosshatch.

Only real advantage is it does not thicken as much in the cold, thin as much in the heat, or oxidize as quickly in heat, causing thickening with time. The first is only an advantage in severe winter conditions. The second is an advantage under severe driving conditions (heavy loads and high temperatures) and the third is not an issue if oil is changed on schedule. I'm not saying synth is not good - but for MY use, i do not see the value. If I was in Winterpeg or Ottawa I would likely use it, at least in the winter. Here in the "banana belt" of southwestern Ontario, we seldom see -20C, seldom see 0 F. I put less than 20,000km a year on each vehicle, so 4 changes a year is 5000km per change - well within spec for "severe use".

Reply to
clare

maybe. I can say that in 13 cars, the ONLY time I ever had any internal engine problems was when I ran Mobil One. HOWEVER - I only owned the car for three months, so I can't vouch for the previous 50,000 miles. It was also a Fiero with a 2.5L that had a stupid nylon timing gear and Montana with no speed limits and a driver with a heavy right foot.

I would rather run cheap oil and change it every 3k than run expensive oil and change it every 25k. That said, I run the good stuff and change it every 3 months in my good car. (and the cheap stuff and change it every three months in my winter truck.)

Ray

Reply to
ray

in my '96 trans am. i use full castrol synthetic. and it isnt that much more when considering u can do an oil change every 8000-9000 kms if u want to push it that far. i change mine every 8000k, and have yet to experience a problem. plus being in canada also,( the prairies) i really love it when it comes to winter time.

Reply to
Rastan

replying to Fud, motersicklebum tim wrote: agreed! syn oil is a HUGE SCAM. what wears your motor is leaving dirty engine oil circulate. i buy the cheapest detergent oil i can find and just change my oil much more often.

Reply to
motersicklebum tim