Synthetic Oil - Huge Marketing SCAM ??

It is funny this oil debate came up in the Chevy pickup group at least 10 times the past year and for some god unknown reason it ends up with
everyone being right.
I am a recent owner of a 1996 Bonneville with only 42,529 miles on it. Very well kept car and I dont think the prior owner ever let it see the winter months. Anyway the dealer that I got it from said they just did a recent oil change and they use Valvoline exclusively and NAPA filters. I asked if it was conventional oil or synthetic, he replied conventional.
The debate that raged on in the Chevy group was not pretty, with the old school going the route of conventional oils and the new school going with synthetic. Pretty much any mechanic or manufacturer will tell you that if you use a good grade of oil and filter and change the oil when scheduled the engine will last for many years. I have a 1991 Chevy S-10 4.3 with 194,770 miles on it and I loose maybe less than half a quart between changes. Oil of choice is Havoline or Valvoline 10w30 summer and 5w30 winter and Purelator filters. I once bought a cheap brand of oil at Sears for some unknown reason my performance was questionable.
Nobody has yet won the debate over conventional oil or synthetics. What everyone pretty much agreed to was that if you keep to your maintenance schedules and use quality items then the engine will do fine for many years to come.
Rip
Of course everyone is right! We're gearheads; our beer and tobacco consumption is exceeded only by our display of ego <snicker> Regardless, I agree that faithful maintanance with conventional can help an engine live a long, long time. The "insurance," if you will, of a synthetic is, in my opinion, well worth the cost, particularly since I tend to build a lot of "Saturday night special" motors and occasionally rebuilds for farmers' pickups. Regular synthetic oil changes are still cheaper than regular bearing changes when you tend to ruthlessly beat on your vehicle, as most people do (including me), knowingly or not.
Happy driving, Mark.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:09:14 -0600, Ripples wrote:

I agree- I have noticed the prevalence of aluminum bearings nowadays. I've played with them somewhat with mouse motors, and have noted that motors from less than ideal conditions (poor maintenance, offroading, etc.) tend to show more frequent scratching of the crank journals due to elevated particulate contaminant levels. They do seem to live longer in tighter-tolerance, well-maintained basic transportation engines, by my experience.
Interestingly enough, Lubrizol, as you recommended checking, lists phosphate, chlorine and sulphur compounds (didn't clarify further that I noticed) as alternate anti-scuffs. I guess it's time to dig out that old chemistry book and learn a bit about some of these compounds...
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:56:46 -0600, Neil Nelson wrote:

in my '96 trans am. i use full castrol synthetic. and it isnt that much more when considering u can do an oil change every 8000-9000 kms if u want to push it that far. i change mine every 8000k, and have yet to experience a problem. plus being in canada also,( the prairies) i really love it when it comes to winter time.
replying to Fud, motersicklebum tim wrote: agreed! syn oil is a HUGE SCAM. what wears your motor is leaving dirty engine oil circulate. i buy the cheapest detergent oil i can find and just change my oil much more often.