Temperature rising questions on a '95 Grand Prix SE 3.1L

I have a 1995 Grand Prix that the temperature gauge likes to climb up to the 240-250 range. Sooner or later it comes down to way below 200. This happens especially when I'm stopped for a period of time with my foot on the brake. I keep a close eye on this all the time. Yesterday going to work, I hit the highway about 10 minutes of city stop and go traffic. Cruising at 65 mph, the gauge still climbed up to around 240 and eventually came down and stayed in the normal range. I had the car for 7 years. I keep her in pretty good running order (it runs excellent for 137,000 miles). I recently had a new thermostat and flush done to it. I'd say a couple of months ago. The coolant isn't low. I notice the 2 fans I have by the radiator only come on at certain times, I hope they come on. What's the story on them. Should they be running all the time. Do I need to be worried about my dilemna? Please help. Thanks for your time.

Del

Reply to
Del Griffith

Could be several things: Air in system. Bad gauge sending unit Bad gauge or things that run/control the gauge Bad thermostat (imo, 3 out of 4 cheap ones are bad) Bad fan(s). (#1 on at ~212-220F, #2 on at ~225-230F Bad fan thermo switch Bad Other things that run/control the fans Low fluid Bad pump And some other bad things.

Reply to
« Paul »

I had the same thing on a 94 3.1 Grand Prix. Never could put my finger on it. One day accelerating on an entrance ramp to the highway the radiator cap BLEW off. Like it choked up a furr ball, everything went back to normal after that. Good luck!

Reply to
Craig Watts

I just finished posting a reply to Cliff, it will have a little more info on my experiance.

I am in the process of replaceing my heater core because of the same problem. in an experiment I bypassed my heatercore by connecting the two hoses of diffrent sizes by making a trip to the hardware store. Since I have done that & replaceing my resivor cap with one from the junkyard I have narrowed my problem to my heater core.

you may want to give it a shot, its a cheap way to find out ifyou may need to replace it. which will be a weekend project. G/L.

Reply to
Flack