tempest vs gto

I'm trying to understand the relationship between a 1964 tempest and a 1964 gto. Is the gto a tempest with an options upgrade? Or maybe I'm way off target.

Reply to
Bryan

Shep

A GTO is just a hotrodded tempest with a Big Block 389 eng. running a Tri-Power setup of 3- 2bbl carbs, and a Muncie 4 speed manual trans.

Reply to
B Powers, International Man of

Yes. The drivetrain that made it a GTO was not available in a Tempest, so althought they handled it as an option, it was like a separate model. The whole GTO model was an option on the Tempest

Reply to
Joe

Did they call it a GTO or did they call it a Tempest GTO?

Reply to
Bryan

Big Block 389? Funny! All traditional Pontiac engines are the same size externally ...

Reply to
Dennis Smith

It was called a GTO but it was an "uplevel" model of the Tempest line. Starting in 1965 the GTO became its own model(but still based on a Tempest) with a specific VIN number. This continued through 1971. Then from '72-74 the GTO became an option on the Tempest/Lemans line again. You need to get a copy of the dealer invoice from Pontiac Historical Services to verify on '64 and '72-74 that they are REAL GTOs and not a Tempest or Lemans cloned into a GTO.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Is it the same size as a 326 that the Tempest used? Unless I am mistken the 326 is a small block pontiac.

Reply to
B Powers, International Man of

Dennis, Thanks for the information. I'm trying to find a 1964 GTO 2 door hard top in California. I'm trying to relive my clueless youth - I didn't know the cars I was buying for a few hundred dollars, driving 'til they broke, and giving to my friends, were going to be collector's items! I had a 1966 Pontiac Tempest 4 door hardtop, white with red interior, automatic. At the time it was just another one of my cars, but I've been getting sentimental and it was my favorite surf vehicle. If I'm going to chase down my elusive youth, I figure I might as well try for one of the classics, the '64. I know I can't afford an intact original, but ...

Reply to
Bryan

All pontiac engines are the same physical block size, except the 301, which was an anomaly at best. A 326 is the same block size as a pontiac 350, 389,

400, 421, 428 and 455.
Reply to
Jay Masino

There is no such thing as a small block or big block Pontiac. They are all the same size externally from the first "modern" Pontiac V8 287 that was introduced in 1955 to the 455 from the 1970s.

There are three "short deck" Pontiac blocks produced. The Ram Air V 303 racing engine from 1969 and the economy minded 265 and 301 from the late

1970's to the end of the Pontiac V8 in 1981. These blocks have the deck surface begining just above the water pump ports.
Reply to
Dennis Smith

I don't know how many hardtop 1964 GTOs were made but most of the ones I have seen in person have been post style. White seems like it was a popular color for them too. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Production: Sports Coupe: 7,384 Hardtop Coupe: 18,422 Convertible: 6,644

Engines: 389 V8 325 bhp @ 4800 rpm, 428 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm. 389 V8 (3x2) 348 bhp @ 4900 rpm, 428 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm

Frank

Reply to
Frank Bridgman