Thermostat, direction of installation ?

Hello !

Can some confirm that the spring end of the thermostat goes in the block. I remember always putting the spring on the hot side of the system but I've had one failed, I installed an new one, engine's heat wasn't working properly, I thought, ok bad thermostat, I installed another one if you go over 50 km heat drops right off. I have a number 3 on my desk and wondering if I'm missing something ?

I have 1996 Cavalier 2.2.

Thanks & Take Care Roy

Reply to
R2

Pointy part towards radiator, spring towards block. There is probably air in the system. Drill a hole in the thermo if there is not one - hole UP.

=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Confirmed that the spring end of the thermostat goes in the block.

Reply to
Sting Ray

Thanks Paul !

Could it be an air lock even after a few hundred miles ? I used the bleeder when I refilled. Do you have any tricks to bleed the system ?

Thanks & Take Care Roy

Reply to
R2

Thanks for taking the time to help !

Take Care Roy

Reply to
R2

Yes, there could still be air in the system. Sometimes an indication will be temp that fluctuates suddenly, or heater that sporadically puts out heat and then stops. Just keep on checking the overflow tank and make sure it is topped off. Try to do it when the engine is warm, but not hot, so that the thermostat is open - careful.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Some of the GM cars have a little bleeder screw around the thermostat housing. If youres doesnt one thing i learned a long time ago on the front drives.is that the radiator is lower than the engine block which has a tendency to make an air pocket. One trick i learned may sound "off the wall' but it does work. Jack the front of the car up with a floor jack (safely of course) and run the engine with the radiator cap off .This will get rid of the trapped air. Run it at least until the fan starts and you get good heat from the heater. The spring on the thermostat points toward the engine. And dont fill it too fast.

Reply to
Philip Wagner

Thanks !

I put the 3rd thermostat in today, a couple of additions, I drilled the hole, hopefully to make a quicker bleeding of the system. I recall, now that you mention it, that GM thermostats always had a little hole in them, I remember my shop teacher point that out quite a few years ago, well now my brand new on has one to !

Thanks & Take Care Roy

Reply to
R2

Hello Philip !

Yes my car has 2 bleeders, I did bleed the system from them both on the previous installations. Thanks for the tip of jacking the front end, I did do that. Hopefully the addition of a 1/8 hole in the thermostat and lifting the car will solve my problems.

Thanks & Take Care Roy

Reply to
R2