thermostat on 2.6 4cyl...which way is up?

The shop manual for my '89 Dodge D50 Ram (Mitsubishi) states: in MOST vehicles the spring side of the thermostat goes toward the engine (in my case it faces down).

Has anyone replaced a thermostat in this engine?

And if you care to read on, this is why I ask. In the last year I've had three thermostats in the truck. Originally a local garage replaced it. Since then I replaced it myself and installed the thermostat exactly the same way the garage installed the last one. Then just today I replaced it again this time with a Mitsubishi brand thermostat, again installing it spring down.

The truck runs cold all the time. Even in the summer the heat gauge rarely goes beyond 1/3 into the gauge. In winter when it's below -25 Celsius, I have to snug the grill and rad up tight to get the gauge up towards the 1/3 mark.

The worst part is, the heater barely throws enough heat to keep the windows clear. Even at times when the heat gauge DOES show in the normal operating range, it does not give me any more heat into the cab. This has been going on for three winters now.

Originally the problem started after I had an engine coolant leak in the cab, coming from the heater area. I took it to the garage and they were able to "fit" an o-ring in somewhere. That's when my heat trouble started. I took the truck back for them to check out but they claim they can't find the trouble and they aren't responsible. I REALLY don't want to have any garage explore the heater problem until I've exhausted what I can do. The garage charged by the book (6 hours) to take apart the dash. So before I go to the next step of taking apart the dash myself and looking at the heater core, I want to rule out some obvious things such as thermostat positioning.

Any experienced suggestions out there?

Ivan

Reply to
hobart

Spring goes down.

I'd try hooking a garden hose up to the heater core and see how it flows. It may be clogged up. Find the hoses leading to the firewall and disconnect them somewhere along the line. Hook up the hose and turn it on to check the flow.

Another thing to do is flush out the entire cooling system after checking that the heater core is free flowing.

Make sure you have a 195 deg. thermostat in.

Rich

positioning.

Reply to
Richie Rich

Okay good, I put the spring down. And no, I didn't use any leak stoppers. If there is a clog in the heater core and it can't be dislodged, I wonder if the water hose pressure is going to do damage during a flush. Ivan

Reply to
hobart

No, flush in thee reverse direction if the normal flow.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

You've installed a new t-stat. So next step is to replace the coolant temp sensor. As far as the heat in the cabin goes, you may have faulty linkage to the blend door in the heater core area (especially since it started this AFTER a garage did some work in that area). Check that the door closes and opens. Be sure to flush the coolant system (not just drain and refill the radiator).

Does the heat contol lever operate smoothly with little drag? If it moves really easy, it's probably disconnected.

-- XMAX-1

's Profile:
this thread:

XMAX-1