Tie Rod problems

I rotated the tires and changed the oil on my fiance's caqr yesterday. There was a nail in one of the tires. Today she took it in to tire kingdom to get it patched. After half an hour of getting bull****ed (we need to replace the whole tire....) they finally get the job done. During this time they also had the car in the air, which she was watching, except for five minutes when she went into the bathroom. When she gets out, this &&(*(* of a so called mechanic goes over to the driver's side wheel, wiggles it, and tells here she needs a new rod. He then tells her that they will do it cheap for her, because its very dangerous to drive like that, for a special price of 200$ (which was clearly marked on the wall when she walked in). As far as I can tell, he loosened it himself while she was gone and was "happy" to point it out (although he was still extremely rude about it from what I hear) when she returned. I just had the car in hte air yesterday, and those wheels were rock solid (NO play whatsoever). Conveniently, the problem only seemed to manifest itslef under 24 hours later, while she was in the bathroom.

I'm having her drive over tonight, on the highway. Two questions, 1) is it safe for to drive on the highway with one tie rod loose 2) supposing the tie rod actually IS broken, what can I use to pop the ball joint out and put the new one in on a pontiac grand am, 2000 ( i've never worked on a pontiac before, and never had had to use a balljoint puller, if thats what its called)

thanks, John

Reply to
J M

If it was very bad, she should notice slack in the steering. Jack one side at a time. Pull the tire side to side to see if you have any play. If not its ok. It will be a small amount. Watch the tie rod end if you feel any play. If it is loose just tighten the bolt underneath. If the tie rod end was broken, (wich it is probably not) it would not be safe to drive at all.

Reply to
Micah
  1. I find it difficult to believe that anyone wore out a tie rod in thirty minutes. Loosening the jam nut will not make the tie rod end loose.

  1. If the tie rod end is broken, the car won't be driveable.

  2. Check the tie rod end as the other poster suggested. It's possible your fiance was being lied to.

  1. To replace, break the jam nut loose. Then take the mounting nut loose, strike the knuckle in the area of the tie rod with about a 4lb hammer. This may require a few blows, but the tie rod should break loose from the knuckle. Then remove the tie rod from the knuckle and unscrew from the inner tie rod, counting the turns. Install the new tie rod with an equal number of turns. Tighten the jam nut and install the knuckle mounting nut and, if you have a castle nut, install a new cotter pin.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Im still pissed off, and its very obvious she was lied to. They must have loosened the lug nuts in order to shake the tire back and forth, seeing as how they neglected to tighten one all the way. Neither one of them were moving when I jacked it up at home, but she's going to take it into the dealer just to make sure nothings wrong. Which is ok, because the dealer she goes to is excellent and has done many minor repairs for her in the past for free.

I'll probably try a puller first before the mallet, just for clearance issues, but we'll see how that goes.

Thanks, John

Reply to
J M

If the tie rod end is broke you could use a piece of wire to hold it on the ball, if thats whats wrong with it. I would only do this to get it someplace to get fixed.

Reply to
abomb6900

Don't wire it on unless you're absolutely nuts. This joint must support the entire steering force of the car. You will probably wreck when the wire breaks.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Be careful prying the tie rod from the ball joint....you could tear the ball joint seal. That can be a mess because the ball joint is held to the control arm with rivets...not fun at all to drill and pop the rivets out

Reply to
Nascar24Rulz

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Oops my fault guy....I was thinking of a strut replacement and pulling the strut from the lower joint. The tie rod is a little higher than that....its been a long week

Reply to
Nascar24Rulz