Tie Rod problems? MDT tech?

A while ago when I was having my tires rotated on my 98 taco 4x4 v6. the mechanic showed me that the front driver tire can be shaken when it was on the lift. He told me I needed a new tie rod. The service guy at the dealer told me there was almost no way it was a tie rod because in 5 years he has only seen 3 go bad. He said that he could have the tech check it out for

105 bux! The inner tie rod is 150 bux w/o labor. I would hate to install it and that not be the problem. I would also hate to pay 105 bux for them to tell me I need a tie rod. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
Reply to
D G

Try an independent shop that specializes in front end work. Have them show you exactly what's loose--if anything. Do you feel any looseness or imprecision in the steering?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

REPLACE IT! Tie rods don't go bad with age, they go bad with wear & tear. How many miles are on the truck? Ever hit a big pothole, curb, etc...? Here you saw the wheel shake with your own eyes. Did the other one shake? If the dealer service guy is so confident it's not bad, ask him to wave the 105 bux if it is. Are the people who had the 3 bad ones he's seen still alive? Leaving it can cost you a lot more in the long run. Spend the 150 bux now and replace.

-PM

Reply to
Patrick Moore

Another cause of a bad tierod is a nimrod doing the toe adjustment. If proper care isn't taken to keep the tierod from pressuring the ball joint on the end while the sleeve is adjusted.. Whamo in 10 minutes you got more damage than possible in 10 years.

I actually had the tierod pop out while I was driving. Fortunately this was in a parking lot so I didn't have to roll it.

This occurred shortly after a shop replaced the upper ball joint and aligned my vehicle.

I had my vehicle towed to a different shop where they replaced the tie rod end. I had the new shop do extensive documentation on the specific condition of the damaged tie rod end.

I took the tie rod end they damaged and demanded my money back for the alignment.

They tried to say no.

I stated it popped off right after they aligned it and they should be thankful I didn't get injured, and pay me happily as I didn't even demand the money for the tie rod end or the Tow.

They gave it to me. I never went there again. I'd like to keep my truck right side up.

Now when I think of it, I should have demanded more in exchange for the tierod they damaged. It was very damning evidence.

Reply to
kip

I would replace it. Dealers are lard-ass thieves. Honda rep told me that brake calipers never go bad either.. and wanted to charge me an arm and a leg to diagnose/fix it. AND IT WAS STILL UNDER WARRANTY! I dont mind a mechanic making a few bucks, but theft is downright disgusting, and thats what dealers do now adays, thieve.

Reply to
Jason