Timing is everything

What should the timing be set at for a '72 350 with HEI, Performer manifold, and Holly 600 w/mechanical secondaries?

What should the total advance be and when should it be full?

Wm

Reply to
William

Compression ratio? Octane rating on gas? GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Geoff Welsh did truly imply:

Mild, around 8.1 Factory stock on everything but the above mentioned items.

Good ol' standard 87 octane pump gas.

Wm

Reply to
William

With compression that low, you can probably get away with 8-10 btdc at idle and 34-36 btdc at 2000 rpm.

That's about what I run, but I have 10.2:1 and need 95 (R+M)/2 or better. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Geoff Welsh did truly imply:

Very nice, thank you. I am going to install a new vaccuum advance pot on there before twisting it around.

Wm

Reply to
William

Vacuum advance comes on immediately:

At idle and slightly above. Centrifugal advance takes over after about 1800 to 200 and should be full at about 2500 RPM.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish_King1

My 71 455 HO w/ 8.4:1 and 73 455 w/ 8.1:1 compression both specify 12 degrees advance at 700 RPM.

Reply to
Dennis Smith