Suggestions for a 4 Barrel Carb for 289

I am looking for suggestions for a carb for my stock 289 that want to change from 2 barrel to a 4 barrel ? Thanks in advance

Reply to
mrdepalo

Which manifold? Auto or stick? How much does your car weigh, and what condition and state of tune is your 289? What are the emission requirements in your area?

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Use the Edelbrock "Performer RPM" intake & Holley 600 carb.

Reply to
winze

"mrdepalo" wrote

Edelbrock Performer 500 cfm w/electric choke. If your car is an auto, you'll need the Ford kickdown attachment.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

A good combo if you like the bogs and excessive fuel consumption and leakage.

Don't use the Performer RPM with stock heads due to port mismatch.

Holleys are junk. Stay with an EDL unit, 500cfm.

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

the performer rpm is designed for factory ports,(1500-6500 rpm)and there is no bog or poor mileage with a holley 600 if it's tuned right. why go with a 500 cfm 4 barrel? you can get that from a factory 2 barrel!

Reply to
winze

Actually the 600 cfm is too much carb for a 289 - great if you're going to be driving with the thtottle wide open all the time, but the 500 cfm will give more bottom end power.

I have a mild Crane cam along with a EDL Performer intake, EDL 500 cfm carb and Heddman headers - thing runs great. At one time I had a Holley 600 cfm on the engine - never could get it leaned out enough to run right.

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Ralph, you should have tuned your 600 a little - the low-end is great when jetted properly and set up with the right secondary spring (I'm assuming it was still a vacuum sec. carb). It is a much smaller carb with higher intake velocity than the 500 2bbl, and will only demand a fraction of the secondaries, and only when needed... with the 289 this may be about 1/4 open at 5000 rpm. A 600/650 with mech secondaries will be too much carb for a stock or near stock 289, especially with a street automatic.

For the OP, an aluminum manifold, like the performer, would be fine with a 600 Holley (keep the vac sec). Probably easier to find than a factory cast iron or marine manifold, too.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The Perf RPM has larger port dimensions than a stock 289/302 head. Would be a good match to a 351 or aftermarket head but not a stock 289. Holleys are junk and I don't believe they can be tuned. I've tried.

500cfm is enough, more is not better. Listen to Ralphs good advice. The Edelbrock carb is totaly different than a Holley. The primaries are smaller for crisp torque and the secondaries only open when needed.

c8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

My head is spinning here.... is this like who likes Chevys and who likes Fords?

I have a stock oem 289 A Code.... which would be the better replacement for the stock build?

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

A plain old Edelbrock Performer intake topped off with a Edelbrock -1403 or

-1404 500 cfm will do wonders for a stock or slightly cammed 289. I just bought another combo for a 5.0 roller engine I have on the stand. I see no alternative for a mild rebuild with stock heads. Holleys leak fuel and are a fire hazard and they are made in Mexico. To tune a Holley you have to take it apart and scrape gaskets and virtually rebuild it in the process. You can tune an EDL carb in ten minutes without spilling any fuel or replacing gaskets. You can take my advise or go get a 600 Holley and learn it the hard way. Ralph knows, ask him...

good luck, C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

C8oe says to ask you regarding my question about Holley vs EDL for a stock 289 A Code (further down the thread)...

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

Back in the 80's, I changed my stock 2bbl '68 289 to a Holley 600cfm with vacuum secondaries on a stock 4bbl manifold. There was very little difference in power, but I did lose about 3 mpg. Seems that the heads are the weak point on that engine and if they are stock, there's not much point in upgrading the carb and intake.

-Brian

Reply to
BDM

I have a 500 cfm Edelbrock on the 260 in my Sunbeam Tiger. These carbs are mechanical secondaries. They start to open at half throttle.

I had the car dyno tuned, they changed the needles and jets. Throttle response is crisp and it pulls like a freight train. The engine internals are stock. The edelbrock carb and long tube headers are the only mod. It makes 180 rear wheel horsepower. Not bad considering the factory spec is

164 gross flywheel hp.

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

If you want a vintage look, you can pick up an Edelbrock F4B on Ebay The go for $100 to $130. The F4B looks a lot like the Shelby Cobra Hi Rise manifold used on GT350s

Erich

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

The mechanical linkage applies to the throttle valve itself. The air valve above controls airflow though the secondaries, not your foot. So this carb funtions as a small 2 barrel carb for economy and torque until the engine get spun up.

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

Thanks for the input/information.... going EDL on the 289 A Code. The outfit restoring her was in total agreement.

Now I just have to sell my 66 FB to pay for it.... well, not really. It's two totally seperate projects. I'm keep>>I have a stock oem 289 A Code.... which would be the better

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

How about a 1000cfm Demon? :)

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

You'll be pleased. Go with a little more cam while your at it. These engines really respond well to the new cam grinds that are available.

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

Unfortunately, I think the cam will have to wait for a little while..... The total cost of the restoration is actually a bit more than budgeted for, so I wil need to pay it down a bit before adding on. However, if you have a recommendation for a cam to go with the system, I will log it into my prioritized upgrades/modifications file.

Whatever the cam; I am try>>Thanks for the input/information.... going EDL on the 289 A Code. The