Update to Pontiac not starting

Just an update: No spark to any spark plug using ignition tester. Could Magnavox coil(3 pack coil on one housing)go out all at the same time?? I will test fuel pressure next. Supposed to be around 41-47 psi. I have not checked the fuel filter yet.

Reply to
GaryH

hold it right thar pard, the ignition system is separate from the fuel system. dont worry about the fuel, get spark 1st, yes you test the spark from the coil wire, (de big fat wire in de midle ob de coil) hold it about 1 inch from a ground, (any nut or bolt) and have a buddy crank the engine, it should throw a white or blue pulsating spark for about 3 inches. if it dont here is the trick....go to a junk yard and pull the entire distributor from another car with a distributor like yours might find one in a chevy or a buick, then just swap 'em out be carefull not to rotate the motor while the distributor is out. then just plop the new one in with the rotor in the same position as the old one with out changing the timing, dig....?

B C

You're 14 years out of date.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Magnavox coil(3 pack coil on one housing)go out all at the same time??

More likely that the ignition module is not telling the coils to fire or that the CKP sensor is not sending a signal.

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Geoff Welsh

Another update. On the crankcase postion sensor I have voltage at three of the four terminals with the ignition on. Also the coil's primary side tests OK but I get readings from 11,000 to 15000 ohms on the secondary side(should be

5000-9000 ohms). Is this OK because it's the original coil (15 yrs. old) or is the coil bad?? Thanks, Gary H.
Reply to
GaryH

Replaced coil. Still doesn't start. Fuel pump ok. Easiest way to check ckp and camshaft position sensors??? Any way to check ECM/PCM(computer)?

Reply to
GaryH

and camshaft position sensors??? Any way to check ECM/PCM(computer)?

It should run if it doesnt see the cam sensor... A oscilloscope is the most accurate way to check both of those sensors. The easiest thing to do is to check for spark. If it doesnt see a signal from the crank it wont know when to fire. Use noid lights or a voltmeter on the injector harness to see if the injectors are getting voltage from the ECM, it will come in as pulses.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Don't know what a "noid" light is. Also. I don't have any spark to any of the spark plugs when I turn it over. How do I hook up the oscilloscope? Do I need a special adapter or something? I checked the crankshaft sensor with the key on and I had voltage at three of the four terminals. Do I check voltage at the injector terminals? Thanks for any help. It's my boys car and I'd really like to get it running. Gary H. Vancouver, Wa.

Reply to
GaryH

spark plugs when I turn it over. How do I hook up the oscilloscope? Do I need a special adapter or something? I checked the crankshaft sensor with the key on and I had voltage at three of the four terminals. Do I check voltage at the injector terminals? Thanks for any help. It's my boys car and I'd really like to get it running. Gary H. Vancouver, Wa.

How was the cars behavior before it gave up? Did it act up any or just die? Ok a search in google.com will tell you what noid lights are but since there is no spark you can skip checking your injectors. You said you replaced the coil pack, did you replace the ignition module as well? Can you see your crank sensor? Reach down and gently try nudging it to see if its loose. There are 4 wires on your ckp. (looking at a 98 manual online)

  1. Sync Signal - light blue/white
  2. 18x Signal - Yellow
  3. Positive Voltage - White/Black
  4. Ground - Black/White

At a quick glance this page might be good for you to read up on

this page as well
theres something they or I missed and you still need help let me know.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville