Bonneville not starting

Have 1988 Bonneville with 3800 V6 engine code C. Magnavox ignition system. Approx. 160,000 on original motor. Wife driving vehicle said it was missing really bad, sputtering, etc. Parked it, turned off the ignition and restarted the car OK. Still missing but running. Turned car off and went to her appt. Would turn over but not start this time. She said it smelled like something getting hot. Towed it home. Anyone know how to test Magnavox system? Also I disconnected the battery and was charging it up so the code reader only shows code 12. What do I check first? Spark plug firing, fuel pump pressure, coolant,crankshaft or camshaft sensors? Thanks, Gary Vancouver,Wa.

Reply to
GaryH

the first thing you do is replace the distributor cap and rotor, wipe off all you plug wires, look for anything burnt or disconected. its not fuel

B C

One problem with THAT suggestion....It's DIS - Distributorless Ignition System!

Reply to
DeathRat

Approx. 160,000 on original motor. Wife driving vehicle said it was missing really bad, sputtering, etc. Parked it, turned off the ignition and restarted the car OK. Still missing but running. Turned car off and went to her appt. Would turn over but not start this time. She said it smelled like something getting hot. Towed it home. Anyone know how to test Magnavox system? Also I disconnected the battery and was charging it up so the code reader only shows code 12. What do I check first? Spark plug firing, fuel pump pressure, coolant,crankshaft or camshaft sensors? Thanks, Gary Vancouver,Wa.

Try this:

DeathRat

Thanks for the info on the Bonneville Club website. I tested the fuel pump anyway and it showed about 42 psi. Thank God it's not the fuel pump anyway. On the coil, I check between the connections where the spark plug wires slip on and those should be between 5000-8000 ohms on each individual coil(as there is 3 coils on the pack). Hope I got it right. I was just in the process of checking the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. Do these need checking or should I stick with testing the coil first. Thanks for everyone's help. Gary H. Vancouver,Wa.

Reply to
GaryH

anyway and it showed about 42 psi. Thank God it's not the fuel pump anyway. On the coil, I check between the connections where the spark plug wires slip on and those should be between 5000-8000 ohms on each individual coil(as there is 3 coils on the pack). Hope I got it right. I was just in the process of checking the crankshaft and camshaft position sensors. Do these need checking or should I stick with testing the coil first. Thanks for everyone's help. Gary H. Vancouver,Wa.

Reply to
Geoff Welsh