1997 Geo Metro Starting Problem

I've got a 97 Metro that is getting gas and fire but just won't start. I've checked the plugs, checked timing,and checked distrubiter. Still won't start. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Reply to
Spllmnj

Assuming you fuel pressure is right, you are getting enough fuel, the distributor and the timing is OK, the plug wires and spark plugs are fine, you may have low compression in the cylinders. Do a compression test. You may have worn piston rings, a blown head gasket or even a worn out overhead cam. Doing the compression test is simple; get a compression tester (gauge) from an autoparts store, it runs about ~$30 for an average quality one. Follow this procedure:

  1. Remove the Ignition and Fuel Pump fuses.
  2. Block the gas pedal to the floor. (Pedal to the metal, WOT).
  3. Remove the spark plugs.
  4. Plug in the threaded tester into the spark plug hole for the first spark plug.
  5. Crank the engine over 10 seconds or 4 turns until you get a stable needle reading. The highest compression achived by that cylinder is its compression.
  6. Repeat 4 and 5 for each spark plug hole.

- JR

Reply to
JR Lomas