Water leak, etc.

My '02 Bonneville is leaking water after heavy rains, into the driver foot well. Apparently only while stationary, because I can detect no water leaking into it while driving. We usually discover it in the morning. No sunroof.

The dealer is going to look at it shortly, but would like to hear of similar issues.

Also, coincidently, I can smell a 'warm' wire from the dashboard area, and the motor is idling rough @ +/-750 rpm.

4550 miles.

Chris Durham, NC (regular went up .05 today to 1.49gal)

Reply to
Chris

There have been many probs on the newer Bonnevilles with the water deflectors internal to the door developing leaks. The water deflector is basically a plastic shield with a butyl seal surrounding the perimiter. If you remove the interior trim panel, you'll see the water deflector is the skin underneath. Take a few cups of water, it may take several, and pour onto the driver door exterior glass with door open. Look all along the bottom edge of the interior trim for water running in from underneath the trim panel. I can almost guarantee that this is where the water is coming in. Hope this helps a little. Chances are that it could also be the main door seal to the body, but I doubt it.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb

I have yet to discover where our problem is, and my mechanic has and will be working on it (after the ice goes away). My floor board in my wife's 94 Grand Prix, also has water in it. At first, I thought it was a problem with the body sealant .. but at this point (I know, I'm not such help) I'm not sure where its coming from.

Reply to
clevere

Is it in the passenger front? I don't know about the 94, but the newer Grand Prix's have that problem, and they have been finding clogged AC drain hoses up behind the glove box

Reply to
GT Grand Prix 00

Nope, mines the drivers front.

Reply to
clevere

My 2000 Grand am had that problem as well. I was wondering where the water was coming from.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Fell

Reply to
Dave

when it rains the water is going into the aiir vents on the car bye the wipers, but no draing out, it is then following the firewall, that when these gm cars were made the firewall never mated with the rest of body and at the assembly plant on some cars they just put a rubber seallent to fix where the metal did not meet to be welded, but not enough for a recall, trust me on this o

Reply to
TIEDUP

Holy Shit man!

Where did you learn to write? JC Whitney?

Do us all a favor and try to form a coherent sentence next time.

Reply to
English Major

I've had extensive problems with the water deflector shields in both front doors. The water deflectors are sealed to the door frame with a butyl seal that breaks down. Normall, when it rains, the rain water flows through the door and out the bottom drains. The water deflectors if functioning correctly will prevent water from entering the passenger compartment.

Reply to
markwb