Water leaks in Squareback

Probably more of a resto subject this but may be of interest. I,ve been plagued by a water leak in my Type 3 for years, never been able to trace it. UNTIL TODAY!. Whenever it rains even moderately it gathers about 1 inch of water in space under back seat ie on opposite side to battery. Tried new door seals etc etc. No rust holes etc . Its a leaking windscreen seal. The water tracks down under the windscreen seal till it gets to the bottom corner of windscreen where there is a drain hole ( under the rubber). It drains through that, onto plastic moulding supplying warm air to screen, the plastic moulding drains into vertical duct from floor which then does right angle at bottom (behind the floor vent) and then follows hot air duct to under rear seat where it rusts out the plastic convoluted air distributor before draining onto floor. Found it by taking front seat out, peering into the warm air outlet on the front passenger floor whilst it rained. It was like a waterfall!. New seal ordered needless to say. I,ll pour some rust kill then fish oil down from the top, car will smell like something dead when I put heat on but ................ When refitting the windscreen should the chrome strip be fitted after or before fitting?

john

Reply to
John

good job on finding the leak, they can be hard to find.... fit the strip before installing the windscreen...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani