Which belt

Folks,

Went to Advance to get a new Dayco serpentine belt for my daughter's '92 Grand Am with a Quad Four (code 3). They listed one belt (5050475) for the "first design," and a second belt (505480) for the "second design." The counterman could not tell me which belt I needed. How do I tell which belt this machine requires?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

if the old belt has a lot of miles on it all the markings are most likely worn away. the GM dealers have trouble with "1st design", "2nd design" situation but sometimes their cataloging will give a hint. when all else fails, remove the old belt so the auto parts store can measure it.

Reply to
DA .

What worries me is the possibility that the old belt was not the correct one when I installed it several years ago. At that time I was not made aware of the two selections by whoever sold it to me back then. Maybe that guy didn't notice either.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Good thinking, however, please note that the belts differ in length by only half an inch. Half an inch doesn't make that much difference does it :-)

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Took the Advance belt back and went to NAPA. My trustworthy counterman there called up the only belt listed for my particular machine. It appears to be the same length as Advance's "second design" choice.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

it's always good to get a 2nd opinion

Reply to
DA .

Ummmm, well yes, of course it does. Been there seen that. Half an inch can be the difference whether a belt can reach around the tensioner or if the tensioner can hold it tight. Half an inch is all it takes. GW

Silver Surfer wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I see this all the time at work. We use FOUR different parts stores because NONE of their catalogs is right about everything. In your case, the less complete NAPA catalog only listed one belt, luckily it was the right one. I see this problem daily with thermostats, belts, hoses, and radiator caps. In any event, glad you got your car going. GW

Silver Surfer wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

dealing with serpentine belts can be interesting. one day I had a customer come in my store, his astro van had just tossed its belt. I sold him a belt and he went out to the parking lot to install it. some time later he came back in, a little upset, saying I had given him the wrong belt, it was much too LONG. checking the catalog again, it was the only belt listed for several years before and after his application. another customer offered to help so out the door they went. it wasn't long till back they came, now the helper informed me the belt was too SHORT. by this time the van owner was totally pissed at my obvious incompetence. (15+ years in the auto parts business at that time) wanting to make the customer happy, I talked one of the mechanics from the shop to help. in less than 2 minutes the belt was on......and the reason for the original belt failing was obvious, the a/c clutch pulley was locked up. now I had to tell him, confirmed by the mechanic, there was no way to bypass the compressor. now totally irate he storms out the door shouting he'll never come in here again. the belt was squealing like hell as he hit the hiway. been retired for 2 years, can't say I miss dealing with the motoring public

Reply to
DA .

Usually there is either a producti>

Reply to