912 question

A lady on "Car Talk" today said the windows on her 912E were clouding up on the inside. Click & Clack told her to remove heater core, or route around it. The only 912 I ever saw was a 911 lookalike with a 4 cylinder aircooled engine. ????? pmouse

Reply to
Pmouse

Funny you caught this also. I was afraid I got in on the end of something and they weren't talking about a 912E...even though that's what I thought I heard just as I tuned in.

Obviously, they were WRONG...big time. They should be properly chastised.

The oil film is most probably coming from a rusted through or broken heat exchanger that's blowing some amount of leaking oil from under the car up through her heater ducts. The cure is replacing the heat exchanger/exhaust system or capping the ducts on the bottom if she doesn't care about heat...if it's a summer car only. Meanwhile, there will be some residual oil film until it's blown out of the ducts...which will probably also smell, at least for a while.

Previous to 1976, 912's hadn't been available since either 1969 or 70 (I think.) Then in 76, the 912E was introduced, using Porsche's left over 914 engines in 911 bodies and were available only that year.

Tom and Ray have probably already heard about this or caught it themselves once off the air; however, just in case, I had already dropped them an e-mail.

Reply to
Weekend Guru