Advice on putting 1977 Porsche 911 back into service !!

I have a 1977 Porsche 911S that has been sitting in my garage for the last

10 years or so. I am contemplating using it while I wait for my regular car to come back from major repair. For as long as I can remember, once a year, I would start it up, let the engine warm up, wash it, and drive it around the block, and then put it back into the garage. The last repair I remember I did was to replace the fuel distributor of the CIS system. I started it up again today, but this time I would like to drive it once in a while. Any words of wisdom or comments regarding what I should do to get it ready (perhaps replace spark plug wire or other things that are important ?).

I have not registered or purchased insurance for this vehicle for many years now. How do I go about getting them done. Someone told me that I could get antique car insurance for it for as low as $100 if I only drove it occasionally. What about antique registration, is that such a thing ? I live in Michigan, some of you may know the state law there.

Another thing is the VDO fuel gauge is broken. I remember fixing the fuel level sensor awhile back. I think it has a float that contact some wire to vary the electrical resistance as the fuel level changes. I don't think I have ever gotten it fixed totally. The gauge now intermittently shows no fuel reading. Anybody have idea how to fix this ? I hate to have to tear up the instrument panel to fix this. I remember making unsuccessful attempt to pull the gauge out of the console. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Oh, any good place to buy parts for an older Porsche such as this ?

Thanks

- Dennis

Reply to
DL

Im jealous, I want a car just like yours to restore. Anyways, Check ebay for a fuel sending unit. I belive it is interchangable with a few porsches in the age range (could be wrong though) but its the best place for little bits and peices you need. I have bought/found everypart I needed to fix/restore my 924 from ebay and other messageboards.

Reply to
Michael V.