aftermarket audio in 996 w/CD?

Okay, I pick up my '99 Carrera coupe in a couple of days. It's got the optional CD player, with the CD's loading in the trays below the receiver controls, in front of the shifter.

I see plenty of aftermarket receivers which will fit without modification to the slot the OEM receiver takes up. I doubt very much that the OEM CD loader/trays are compatible with any but the OEM receiver.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Is it easily removed, and can the standard piece that fits there (with the standard audio) be obtained? Or am I wrong and will the CD changer work with aftermarket equipment?

Reply to
KK

The trays below the standard CD are simply for storage. You have to manually open the tray, remove any CD that's already in the player, and insert the new CD, while storing the ejected one in the now open tray. If the car has a factory CD player, it's mounted in the trunk. If your car does not have the factory CD changer, it is possible to find them in the aftermarket, but I understand that running the cable from the in-car player/receiver to the changer in the trunk is really tough. You'll need the changer, mounting bracket and hardware, plus the connecting cable.

There are a number of aftermarket, replacement in-car CD/receivers, and maybe one of these with a built-in 6 CD changer will fit...but I'm not sure of this.

Hope this info helps.

Reply to
Guru

Very much. I suppose I should have waited to post until taken possession of the car and discovered that those were for storage and not a CD changer.

Just excited, I guess.

Thanks.

Reply to
KK

KK, I pretty much have the same Radio/CD player combination that you describe. Mine is a '03 911 Carrera Cabriolet. The trays are there to conveniently store the CDs before playing them. They do not play automatically from the trays. Am I missing something here? By the way, the OEM Porsche audio system is OK but not outstanding. Enjoy your 911 as much as I enjoy mine!

HHC

Reply to
Hernando Correa

Yup, I'm an idiot. I haven't taken posession of it yet and I'm like a little kid already.

I was looking at in-dash receivers with bluetooth for phone and CD changer/Phatnoise capability. Does Porsche run the cable to the front compartment in cars w/o factory CD changers?

Thanks!

Reply to
KK

"Does Porsche run the cable to the front compartment in cars w/o factory CD changers?"

NO...at least that's the story for pre-997 models. I don't know about them.

Reply to
Guru