Boxster 2.5 or 2.7

Hi, I'm planning to buy a used Boxster in the UK over the next few months. I had intended to go for a 2.7 as I've read that the 2.5 was lacking in the performance stakes. On looking around for the spec I want I find I have a lot more choice in 2.5 than 2.7. This is probably due to my budget which has a ceiling of 25k. My question, is the 2.7 that much better than the 2.5 and was the 2.5 that much of a disappointment?

Thank you in advance Ian

Reply to
Ian Adkin

"Ian Adkin" wrote

I can't believe that the UK market is *that* much different than the US for price. We bought a '2000 Boxster with 36K miles, perfect shape, 6 months ago in California for $30K US. That's about £18K UK. I can't believe that you need to pay $42K US in the UK to get a comparable car, even if you're looking for a fully-optioned car. After all, LHD doesn't cost Porsche THAT much.

In addition to a larger engine, the 2000 models got many detail changes that makes the engine/drivetrain more reliable overall. I also remember reading car mags that definitely liked the additional HP and torque of the 2.7 - said it really made the car.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Several UK Porsche mags have run buyers guides on used Boxsters. You might visit the local bookstore and check out the ad pages in some of these mags for back issues that contain the buyers guides. They make for interesting reading.

Almost to a writer, they like/prefer the 2.7l engine because it has more power, torque.

Also, the 2.7l engine comes in a newer car and some like to point out the best Porsche you can buy is the newest Porsche you can buy.

The 2.7l engine'd cars have some improvements beyond just the engine displacement boost.

And with a 2.7l engine'd car you might find one with some factory warranty left, which is nice.

Best advice is to read up on buying used Boxsters, then shop around and drive both types of cars and see which you like best.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Ian Adk> Hi,

Reply to
Marc Warden

We tend to find, if something is $30k, expect it to cost £30k, even if the product is made in the UK. Due our silly taxation system, which sometimes includes VAT (Sales tax) on a tax (Car insurance tax has sales tax added to it, as well as to the car insurance premium).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Ian, drive them both....I did and saved a ton of money by buying a 97 2.5L Boxster....Now I compared it to an 02 2.7L...and from what I have read the 95 Boxster has different gear ratios that help it accelerate just as fast (faster by certain magazines) than the 98 and 99 2.5's....By the way 150 mph is plenty fast...and yes I got my Boxster up that fast....On a Porsche run...through the twisties, I was able to keep up with a Boxster S through the corners....my 97 a 3.2 and a 2.7 left everyone else..so the real differences will probablt be the driver. Now other things may make you like a 2000+ Boxster.

JR

Reply to
JR