Buying a 996

Hi,

I was wondering whether any of you can help me. I am considering buying a used 1999 996 (US model). I am trying to figure out whether all the quirks that I uncovered are normal, or a sign of neglect.

Specs: 1999 996 Carrera, 6M, 3.4l, 18" rims, mostly basic configuration,

5 cd changer, 90 days warrantee, rear wiper, price on par with KBB.

Car has 23k miles, generally looks good, and drove ok.

Here are the quirks that I need help with.

o On start up, there was a loud buzzing noise coming from the left rear Noise went away after a couple of minutes.

o Clutch pedal creeks a bit when depressed

o When warm, idle seems a bit a rough (empty passenger chair shakes)

o Hard launches makes the gear shift shake

o Shifter is a tad notchy

o Rear spoiler on deployment is noisy

o A bunch of plastic pieces are broken (some of the roof rack blanks, vent air intake cover under the hood)

o Bottom front of car scraped up a bit, one of the plastic pieces torn

o Wheel center covers bleached out probably due to caustic cleaner

o Water in the lower left headlight assembly (I think it's just the reflector)

o No Porsche used car certification

o Hood/trunk release levers scuffed (they all seems to be like that)

The car seems ok, but all these little bits make me wonder whether the car wasn't neglected by the previous owner(s).

I'd appreciate to hear from the group whether the above ailments are normal.

Thanks, Jan

vdb_NOSPAM snipped-for-privacy@nwlink.com remove _NOSPAM_ for replies.

Reply to
Jan

I too am looking at a used 996 (A C4)

If replying can you also let me know what services are like on these things? Anything special with the oil changes? Is it a Haldex clutch for the AWD that needs service?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

Don't buy any used Porsche, especially a 1999 996...first year...without having it looked at by an experienced, independent Porsche tech. That said...see some comments below:

Definitely NOT normal. Could be CV joints, or something simple like a loose fan belt. Who knows...

There were a number of early clutch problems. They had to change the clutch on my 2000 996 as it was noisy and hard to get smooth engagement. I'm betting the pressure plate is bad.

normal, could be a bad temp sensor or problem with FI or a spark plug. (Enrichment stops after the engine warms up...so a fouled injector or plug would show up then.)

deal. Motor or alignment issues.

Not too unusual. I put a front and rear skid plate/bar to protect both the nose and engine. The rear one is more critical...as some folks have backed over parking curbs and damaged their oil sumps. (Read that as expen$ive.)

They should lower their price without

that)...Normal

Based on your comments and the car's condition, I would concur that the previous owner(s) was not a very good owner. If this is a dealer, I'd make them fix anything that's obviously not right. Even so...I'd want to buy it at less than KBB. There are a lot of nice 996's out there...later 2000's and even later. It's easier to buy one that's right, than to buy an early one that has not been well cared for.

Hope this helps....

Reply to
Weekend Guru

Thanks. What about a Porsche certified one?

This noise was there w/o the car moving. They said it was some kind of pump. It was pretty noisy.

Another question:

The oil sump had the bolt heads sticking out. I heard that this may cause problems when you bottom out. Is there a retrofit?

Thanks, Jan

Reply to
Jan Vandenbrande

Reply to
maximilian

It is not a Haldex, it is an old fashioned visco coupling. /Staffan

Reply to
Staffan Nilsson