Chicago Mechanic Rec?

Hey, all. After years of using Motodelta, Ray closed the shop. Does anyone have a mechanic they'd recommend for basic stuff? I's prefer to use someone in the city and travel (e.g., Eurosport) only for the big stuff.

Thanks!

Cheers...Craig craig(underscore) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.C O M

CJS

I'm not quite sure why Emanuel hasn't chimed in on this, yet. He's out in yer neck-o-da-woods, too.

Well, I'd at least start here:

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

Below are 2 responses to the same question from me in 2000, right after I bought the SC. I've been using Fischer Motorsports in Barrington, but that's quite a hike. I've been thinking of trying a place in Lincoln Park (1900 Sheffield) because it's close and I always see a lot of similar-age Porsches there, but I don't know the name...

Reply to
E Brown

CJS wrote: : X-No-Archive: Yes

: Hey, all. After years of using Motodelta, Ray closed the shop. Does : anyone have a mechanic they'd recommend for basic stuff? I's prefer to : use someone in the city and travel (e.g., Eurosport) only for the big : stuff.

Well, I've always used Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville at York and Irving Park road. They are very good!

Drive over there and look around.... it's owned by two brothers, Brian and George Weathers. Call first because sometimes they close up shop a few days before races like Sebring and the entire staff goes to support racers (that semi in the parking lot is a double deck car carrier).

The number is 630-595-5577

Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Why pick on me? John answered the next day and Greg Gulik hasn't chimed in yet! :-) Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Is Greg still participating? I thought he sold the 911 after he had the kid.

Cheers...Craig craig(underscore) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.C O M

CJS

I think I know the place.

Cool.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers...Craig craig(underscore) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.C O M

CJS

thanks!

Cheers...Craig craig(underscore) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.C O M

CJS

CJS wrote: : X-No-Archive: Yes

: Hey, all. After years of using Motodelta, Ray closed the shop. Does : anyone have a mechanic they'd recommend for basic stuff? I's prefer to : use someone in the city and travel (e.g., Eurosport) only for the big : stuff.

Sorry, didn't read the last sentence but you know Metra stops about two blocks away from Eurosport. Also the Pace 606 bus stops at the corner of York and Irving Park Road (also 2 blocks away) so you can take the blue line to RiverRoad or Metra Bensenville station to within a two blocks of the shop (Last time I was there I dropped off the car around 8pm, and rode Metra back to the city, rode the blue line to the 606 back out when I picked it up).

Right now I think is their busy time, the start of racing season, but after this time is over, it's pretty easy to get in unless a big event is within sight.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Awww...yer just more fun to pick on, that's all. ;-P Actually. you were the first to come to mind for a Windy City contact.

Best regards,

DS

Reply to
The Dead Senator

I'm apparently in a similar boat as Craig's. I've got a line on a nice 928S which will complete my assortment of Porsches and it appears no one in Chicago (a city of 3.5 million people, mind, and the 3rd largest urban area in the US) doesn't have a shop that works on

8-cylinder Porsches. I've been asking around about who to go to for a PPI. I may go ahead an get an Audi A6 instead. Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown

That would hardly round out your 1983 assortment I suggest you continue looking for a shop. There are four or five in Seattle competent enough to do an inspection and it isn't much harder to work on than your 944. I have done my own repairs/maint and they just are not as bad as advertised.

Of course when the timing belt tensioner failed it took me three months to psych myself up enough to tackle that job. It turned out not to be such a big deal.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Yep, the goal was all 3 1983 models sold in the US, but the mechanic situation and the fact that the family is pushing for at least *one* modern car that can carry more than one passenger when they visit...

I've talked to some 928 owners and heard the same, but Chicago doesn't have a strong enthusiast base like some regions that have timing belt parties and engine-drop barbecues, so I'd be flying solo. Normally, I'd start something myself but my own Porsche knowledge is of fairly recent acquisition. Must be a Midwestern thing - the RROC is pretty much the same, more checkbook mechanics. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

Well, Bernard, I do my own wrench turning, too. My mech (John Walker -

is too far up in north Seattle to make it easy, so I tackle as much as I can meesef. Most of it is simple maintenance, tho. No one I know has the time (or inclination) to join me.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

Maybe you could help BUILD that enthusiast base? I'm in the far West 'burbs, but would certainly call myself an enthusiast (my shop manuals get plenty dirty!). My timing belts are pretty fresh, so wouldn't need that particular party...and the engine in my 911 isn't due for a dropping.

David

'83 928 S (5 spd, Rubinrot Metallic....but a Euro, so wouldn't fit your collection :) ). '93 911 C4 (5-spd, Arctic White) '97 BMW Z3 2.8 (Montreal Blue & for sale to make room for the twins from Stuttgart)

Reply to
David Schultz

I've built enthusiasts groups before - you need a couple of old hands that know everything to hold the group together, and I simply don't have the knowledge base. I'm mechanically average, though I'm hell on wheels with a orbital buffer and some toothbrushes! :-)

Nope - for one thing, the collection is Guards Red with black leather interiors. I think that's the classic 80s combo for Porsche...

Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

I used Arlington Performance in Arlington Heights IL, not sure of the number, I just sold my 944 S2 *sob*. Chris, the owner, is a certified mechanic, and the 4 years I've had my car is very honest. Tells me what he recommends, what can be put off. He does other cars also has my Volkswagen business and will get my other car too.

Reply to
Iceburgh

Thanks. Might use them for a check-up or big stuff. The problem I have is that, being a consultant, drop-offs are a pain in the butt. Motodelta was close and handy.

Cheers...Craig craig(underscore) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.C O M

CJS

MotoDelta didn't actually "close" folks.

Just moved... ...and is under new ownership.

Ray was a close personal friend of mine and brought me up and mentored me in the world of all things Porsche. When he left, he gave me the MotoDelta name and number.

What's different?

Well I primarily work on air-cooled 911's. I'm in Naperville. I'm working in my home shop untill reasonable real-estate is found. (In Naperville? Yeah right!)

My focus has always been racecars and fabrication, but I still do a fair amount of service work. I know the location doesn't help the city much, but I only take 1-2 customers at a time, so my work is dedicated. SOme of you already know me... (Good? Bad? :D )

I would second the recommendations for Fischer, but they're not in the city. Eurosport is closer, but tough to get into unless you're referenced.

Reply to
cstreit

Hey, Chris. Thanks for the help re. the oil change. One other question

- I'm thinking about getting the RS-style door panels, but they only come in black. Do you know anyone around who could re-upholster door panesl?