Tires--this should start some discussions :-)

I have a 1987 924S with 195/65 15s on the car now. I want to replace the tires with a good road/handling tire. I have heard good things about the Michelin Sport and Bridgestone Potenza G009. Tire Rack has the Potenza tires over Michelin by a small margin AND user comments have not been favorable to Michelin.

I live in Colorado so I need to have a good all year tire with decent handling as I participate in PCA events.

Thoughts??

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike -

I use Pirelli P400s on my '66 912; and although I do not participate in Club Racing, the tires seem to be great all-around performers with good ride qualities @ about $70.00 each.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Schmidt

Bill,

Thanks, I'll check into those tires.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I live in Colorado so I need to have a good all year tire with decent handling as I participate in PCA events.

Thoughts??

Mike

Reply to
R Gostenik

I would guess them to be about on a par with the old sawdust encrusted tires that were used before studded tires appeared. Imagine they are a little less concrete friendly, though not as destructive as studs.

Honestly, this is the first I've heard of them. Are they an expensive tire, compared to, say Blizzaks?

DS

Reply to
DFS

I need to fess up so as to not be spamming this group. I do have a financial interest in the Green Diamond Tire company.

Still, my experience in running a set on a 914 in Colorado snows prompted me to buy sets for our Saabs (9-5 & 9-3conv) and our LR (Def110) and was moved to change careers (from software) to promote and expand GDTs in the US market.

The 'sawdust' tires to which you refer may be the Toyo brand with walnut shells blended into the tread compound. The GreenDiamondTires are relatively new to the US, have been in short supply, and sell-out quickly. They are also remanufactured tires that are rebuilt sidewall-to-sidewall.

In independent laboratory testing (Swedish Instititute of Technology), they exceeded the BS Blizzak (and Mich Alpin, Nok Hakk, Gisl NordFstII) traction and lateral adhesion results by a minimum of 32%.

Being a remanufactured (remoulded) tire, the prices are about 1/2 to 2/3 of a new tire. The Green Diamond Tire website URL is easy to find so I will resist posting it here in deference to the integrity of this group.

Rich Gostenik President Green Diamond Tire - West Green Diamond Tire / E-Commerce

I would guess them to be about on a par with the old sawdust encrusted tires that were used before studded tires appeared. Imagine they are a little less concrete friendly, though not as destructive as studs.

Honestly, this is the first I've heard of them. Are they an expensive tire, compared to, say Blizzaks?

DS

Reply to
R Gostenik

Mike,

I realize that I am taking a chance here... but here goes. Only because you live in Colorado am I posting this response. A bit further into this thread, I introduce myself as having a financial allegiance to the Green Diamond Tire product. Well, I do because I believe in it so strongly... I purchased the retail internet rights and also have licensed the distribution rights for the western US. So, flame me if you must, but this is a product that makes so much sense on a number of fronts... and I will take my chances just this once and not post such a blatant promotion again.

-they are called 'Green' Diamond because they are a recycled product... using only premium casings that must pass ISO9000 level inspections for quality

-they are remanufactured in Sweden (again to ISO9002 standards)

-they are used by the Swedish law enforcement on their interceptors

-the technology and process of embedding the silicon carbide granules into the tread was invented in Iceland and the patent is international protected.

-Iceland is home to one of the most 'green' and environmentally responsible societies and with governing bodies that are among the most demanding in caring for their environment's natural resources.

-independent testing ranks the Green Diamond Tire far ahead of the 'major' tire manufactureres by 32%... and we are talking BS Blizzak, Nokia/Nokkian Hakks, Gislaved NFIIs, Mich Alpins... all the quality niche brands.

There is starting to be a sizable 'buzz' about these tires on various groups and forums. The website URL is easy enough to find, yet I am nearly finished with a complete re-write of the site to bring it current with contemporary standards and features... but for now it is somewhat informative.

The real testimonials come from the folks that bought a set because the 'price was right for an experiment' and have become walking/talking billboards for the product.

To-date, there has been no advertising budget as these tires now sell-out within weeks of entering the US. For Mike's 924, I do not have any 195s but I do have only 8- 205/65R15s in the Icelander tread pattern and they sell for about $80.00 each. I you are interested and you live in the Denver metro area, I will be pleased to meet w/you and show/sell these tires to you personally.

Whoa- that may have been over-the-top. I will apologize for the lengthy post and stop now.

Regards to all.

Rich Gostenik President Green Diamond Tire - West Green Diamond Tire / E-Commerce

303.808.7280 (mobile)

I live in Colorado so I need to have a good all year tire with decent handling as I participate in PCA events.

Thoughts??

Mike

Reply to
R Gostenik

Not that "retreads" have ever been well thought of - Notice how often you see the entire tread layer of big truck tires littering the highways - but I'd think that the recent Firestone debacle would have tread separation at the front of everyone's mind when it comes to selecting new tires.

DS

Reply to
DFS

DS,

I must agree with you that the evidence littering highways is seemingly a damning for a case for the Green Diamond Tire, however there is a marked difference between recaps/retreads, which is typically what the debris is... and quality remanufactured tires.

Plus- if one takes a close look at those treads lining the highways, you will more often than not see belt material as part of the remains. The presence of such belts are more indicative of new tire failure... not recap failure. The sad truth is too many daily motorists drive on good and high quality tires that are improperly inflated and are a danger to themselves and others.

Better driver education would help, however the tire construction is rarely at fault. This NG is all about Porsche enthusiasts. I choose to believe that subscribers to this group are as particular and careful of all aspects of automotive maintenance as to be attentive to tire pressure, balance, and wheel alignment.

Construction of a GDT is virtually identical to that of a new tire... whereas a recap is merely gets remaining tread scuffed off and a ribbon of new tread glued on and cured. Following ISO credentialed inspection, the GDT casing is then completly prepped from bead-to-bead and rebuilt with a technology considerably advanced (over re/capping) and then cured to the same standards as a new tire.

The GDT is not a high speed-rated alternative to any number of performance tires preferred by Porsche drivers. However if someone in Mike's situation is looking for a competent snow tire that can be run year-round, then there is an alternative to the 'majors' and I want to make other like-minded enthusiasts aware of the GDT product.

Actually, I feel only slightly awkward in promoting this product on this NG, but if you could have driven my 914 on Colorado blackice in the mountains, you would be as jazzed about these tires as I became. This is my last such post... and again, I do apologize. Yet, if you are at all curious about GDTs, then check out any number of the auto forums, or search arguement engines... it is a very interesting product.

~rich

Not that "retreads" have ever been well thought of - Notice how often you see the entire tread layer of big truck tires littering the highways - but I'd think that the recent Firestone debacle would have tread separation at the front of everyone's mind when it comes to selecting new tires.

DS

Reply to
R Gostenik

Mike, I tried to send this to you via email however even after several attempts could not defeat your filter :-)

____________________________

Mike, You posted to alt.autos.porsche a while back and I just got into the thread today. Forgive this seemingly spam oriented email, however I would ask you to revisit the NG and follow the current thread that you launched. And yes- you did start some discussions :-) Should you be interested, I do have only 8 GDT Icelanders left (in the US!) ... But, in 205s - not 195s. I am not desperate to sell them however I would like for a Porsche enthusiast (PCA) to experience them rather than let them go to some Subaru pilot :-). The Icelanders are one of the treads that are an 'all-season' design, yet are used by ice racers in ColoSpgs, Nederland, Georgetown, and tested better than 36 & 32% in steering and braking over the BS Blizzak... Plus these tires have a 35,000mi life. We are going to start making them in NY later this year so availability will become less of a problem. I will be locating a plant somewhere out here in a western state around 2007 to cover the this region and keep cost/price as low a possible. ~rich

I live in Colorado so I need to have a good all year tire with decent handling as I participate in PCA events.

Thoughts??

Mike

Reply to
R Gostenik

Three things that would put me off:

  1. ISO 9000/9002 says nothing about inspections. You could get this certification with no inspection at all if you said that inspection was unnecessary.
  2. ISO 9000/9002 says nothing about remanufacturing.
  3. Your original post was very much "I have discovered this product ..." without mentioning your connection. In fact, you referred to the company as "they" when you are the President of the distributor.

I am not saying that the products are not good. Just that your selling methods would make me very wary.

Reply to
Paul Spencer

Really? Would you be more assured if i had used either of the terms 'monitored' or 'controlled'? Actually, there are very explicit ISO guidelines for product inspection and testing... and various process inspections (receiving, in-process, final. In fact, even guidelines for testing the test/inspection equipment.

Really? Is remanufacturing not, in and of itself, a series of defined steps/tasks/procedures that non-remanufacturing must also go through? Is remanufacturing not subject to receiving, in-process procedures and final quality controls?

The larger point that I was attempting to establish is that the Green Diamond Tire product is derived from a methodology of defined, structured quality processes and is a considerable niche above what many would consider a recycled tire to be.

That was a mistake... and admittedly, i am awkward at this marketing/selling part but i do agree with you that i was misleading... that is why i 'fessed-up' in the later post. I respect the help that this NG offers and i have been on the benefiting receiving end numerous times and did not want to spam the group. I was hesitant at trying to introduce GDTs here, and obviously chose an awkward approach.

Point well taken...

Reply to
R Gostenik

My baby wears Michelin Pilots GTX4s (few years old). Won't put anything else on her as long as they make them. Do they still make them?

Reply to
Fred Aston

Fred,

I bought Bridgestone Potenza G009s based upon feedback from people in this group and Tirerack. The ride is a little rougher, but the handling is great. I'm retiring from the USAF after 28 years and moving back to Texas, so I'm selling the 924S. After the house is bought, I'm going to look at either an older 911 or Boxster.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

bf goodrich traction TA's should do the trick you can get them h or v rated. they have AA traction rating just put a set on my 944; love them (no snow yet).

Reply to
Cggeorgecox

What a waste. Pep Boys can get you done for $19 per tire.

Cheers...Craig craig(underscore) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.C O M

CJS