I hate power steering

It always breaks or leaks!

I have a 86 944..

All of a sudden the steering seems very notchy, when you turn a corner it feels like the power steering is only working on and off. One second it's easy to turn the wheel, the next second it's hard. PS fluid is fulled to max. Is this my PS pump going bad? Will I do damage if I drive it like this until I can afford to fix it?

Reply to
scuba steve

You may be pumping pieces of your P.S. pump through the rack, so yes, you may do additional damage if you continue to drive it.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Check your ps belt tension, if it is loose, you may not hear it squeal but the pump will not be able to keep up with the load,

the steering pressure will be "notchy", ok staight ahead but stiff when trying a quick tight turn.

Bernard Farquart wrote:

Reply to
D Corley

That sounds exactly right, thanks!!

Reply to
scuba steve

HI a few things,

Tracking can cause problems with steering, (so I'd get a proper 4 wheel alignment done by Porsche or a Porsche specailist, expect 3 - 4 hours work.

try draining and re-newing the power fluid, also make sure you bleed it as per the manual,

DONT OVER FILL it, use the direction in the manual as specified,

and yes it could also be the power steering rack, check for fluid leaks

HTH

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Jaye

And don't use power steering fluid--- use Dextron Automatic Transmission Fluid!!! That could be the cause of your current problem.

Brian Moore

Reply to
Brian Moore