Oh Baby! I am picking it up today after work

When I was about 12 years old, I have been a Porsche nut... The year was around 1980, I would beg my mother for Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motortrend, anything I could get my grubby little hands on, I would dream about a Porsche, looking at the 911's in the magazines, cutting out pictures and pasting them all over my school notebooks.

At 22 years of age, I got married, had a son, then a daughter. 20 years later my son is off in the Army. Sure there have been fun cars along the journey. There was an Alfa Romeo, a Mustang GT, a Miata... still... in the back of my head lurked that image, quietly haunting me for the better part of my life. I have never been in a position to afford a Porsche, not so much as it is an expensive car, but for what it cost. it was completely impractical for a family guy. We currently own a Mercedes Benz E320 Wagon, and a Suburban. The Suburban was used mostly for towing a boat, which I still have, but I recently put my boat in a marina and have no need to tow it any more.

While bitching with the wife about the 14mpg I get with the big Chevy, we rolled past a local used car dealer who only deals in high end European cars, and sitting there amongst the Mercedes, and BMW's and Volvo's was a bright red Boxster, a 2001 model. I stopped in a looked at it, smoked it over for a week, looking at possible every online review of that car ever written. This morning I called the dealer and he still has it, I am going to go buy it after work today. Sure, I'll have to sell the Suburban, but I won't miss it, I will be far too busy clearing a spot in the garage, to put my long awaited treasure.

Reply to
jerry

I understand your anticipation. My Dad had the sports car bug, and owned various models of MG, Mercedes, and Porsche. Of course, it was the Porsches that gave me the bug...which I have acted on all too often in the last 20 years. I had an '01 Boxster-S and really enjoyed it; however, we are now grandparents and my spouse determined that we had to have space to transport them. So, it was back to 911's and we now have an '06, 997-S.

I don't know what kind of "warranty" or "return" privilege this used car dealer offers, so...if necessary...DO NOT BUY, until you've had a Porsche shop (dealer or independent) perform a prepurchase inspection. A pre-owned Porsche with "problems" can become a "money pit;" however, a good one can perform as good as new...and be as reliable as any car.

Congratulations!

Reply to
Guru

lol - the feeling of the bright red Porsche boxster 'eyes' starring at you...practically saying 'take me, lover'

yup, Porsche will seducitvely woo you - that what Porsche does

Reply to
Lawrence

keep checking the oil level and you'll have the ride of your life

Reply to
Low Life #3

It is an '01, tan and black interior, metallic burgundy, close to candy apple red. It has a sport package, 17" Turbo wheels, manual, PSM (do they all have this?). 70K miles. Was around $15K.

These are the pics the dealer put on his online listing. I have since spend several hours polishing and cleaning. It looks darn near new now.

jerry

I feel the same way. i think DR PORSCHE is a doctor that studys the human (MIND)and like to drive. Every time back in the early 90s I remember the red digital clocks, the ones anywhere would display them when it got to 9er oclock,as the clock moved on , I would say to myself its 911, then its 914, then 924, then 928, then 944, then 959 .i sometimes would stare at the clock waiting to see the numbes..I had the

1980 924 turbo, then the 944 auto so wife could then i bought the 1985.2 new dash 5 speed so wife could not drive .he he its was gold with cocoa interior its was in almost perfect shape with only 68k miles, thats the car i did 142 mph on (my) highway very late at night in august hot night.no traffic or anybody on the road.... today after 10 years of waiting they re-paved to 3 lanes 70 mph speed limit and smooth as silk im ready to do a little better this time. very soon coming in august...... and it stayed with me in my mind every time i see a digital clock in the 9er side. what could that be?..........maybe i quit porsches in 1994 because we had baby girl.. and could no longer afford the worlds finest sports on this planet and perhaps others too.....................thanks, ED.
Reply to
Ed Zorm