OT: Buying another car

Hey group. I'm an avid lurker around here, I drive a 2002 911 Targa and am extremely satisfied with it. Anyways, I have a sixteen year old daughter that just got her license, I told her if she got a GPA of 3.0 or better her first two years of highschool I would buy her a car. Two years later it looks like I have to keep my promise. I told her to pick a car out, no older than 1995 and lower miles. She wants nothing other than a Grand Prix or Cavalier. I personally have had terrible experience with GM back in the

1980s, I'm trying to talk her into a Celica or Camry. Does anyone have experience with GM products in the 90s? Like I said earlier, I had terrible GM experience. My wife bought a Pontiac 6000LE back in 1984 and we didn't even have it a week before it broke down stranding her on the side of the highway, after that things didn't get much better. Dealer refused to warranty a lot of the cars problems, they had no interest in trying to satisfy our needs/fix the 'lemon' car, all our complaints fell on deaf ears. I know this was 19 years ago, but I don't want to go through it again if she buys this Grand Prix she wants....any advice would help me out a lot. Personally I don't know why she just cant be happy with a run forever Toyota. What kinds of cars did you guys buy for your kids when they first got their license? Thanks for the help.
Reply to
Dave Khiel

"Dave Khiel" wrote

Trick her. Get her a Prism. It's built by NUMI in CA - same assembly line produces Toyota Corolla.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

I would try to steer her away from ANYTHING American. The consumer magazines are still pretty down on US quality. My opinion would be (as you are thinking) a nice Japanese model. Off of the top of my head I would say the Acura Integra, Toyota Celica, Mazda Miata or something along those lines would be good bets.

Reply to
Devils944

The Hyundai and Kia econo-boxes seem to be the most popular parental choices among my friends lately. The big selling point is that they are so cheap as to be competitive with a fairly new used car from a big-name, and the extended warranty makes up for the poor maintenance the car will experience at the hands of a teen-ager. After those, friend's kids have a 1996 Toyota Camry, 1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE, and a 1997 Chevy Cavalier. The Camry has been trouble-free (was bought from elderly neighbor), the Grand Am has needed a little work but has close to 200,000 miles on the clock (kid goes to college in Colorado and visits home - Illinois - a lot), and the Cavalier has racked up hundreds in bills but is strangely beloved by its owner. Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown

lLOL dont listen to anything liar924 says, along with a non american product he would probably like to have sexual relations with your daughter! LOL american cars are relaible, cheap, easy to fix and arent droiven by stobs like cheroke924audi deriviteve boy here. Actually audi927 has a 40K jeep gold package i think he would like to sell you. LOL!

Reply to
Jizztec

Can't go wrong with a mid-90s Camry. It's safe, cheap to operate, comfy, and affordable. Both my kids cut their teeth on Camrys.

Mike F. '91 964 C2

Reply to
Mike F.

Emanuel Brown wrote: : On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:05:45 -0500, "Dave Khiel" : wrote: :> Does anyone have :>experience with GM products in the 90s?

Well, only one GM... a 96 GMC. Bought it new... it was disheartning enough to make me go back and give Ford a second look even though I had dumped my

87 Ford in 89 and swore I'd never go back to them...

My current American car is a Ford 350, so far, so good.

I did have my Plymouth for 7 years though... it was the longest I ever kept any car... bought it new 89 and it came with free oil changes for life from the dealer, course, they don't make Plymouths anymore...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing