Mondeo Failed Emissions

Hi Guys,

Mondeo failed CO emissions. Irritatingly 0.31% max limit is 0.3% bastardos!!!

Any advice to get that reading down?

I was gonna put some injector cleaner in it give it a good run, perhaps look at lamda sensor see if it's dirty worse case scenario replace Cat. Car was fairly cold when they tested it, perhaps I should make sure it's up to temp for the retest.

Reply to
Mattyb

its impossible for your car to be cold when tested, the emission analyser wont allow it to be, yours failed the BET test (basic emission test) so a full cat test would have been carried out & the oil temp would have been taken at this point on your vehicle & it has to be at least 80c+ to allow the full emission test to be carried out, so it wouldn't have been cold.

Reply to
reg

Yeah. I knew it was warm probably not articulating clearly. I think basically need to take it for a long run and use injector cleaner. they bpassed the oil temp on it the printoff says, I guess they didn't do a full cat test.

Any tips though Reg

Reply to
Mattyb

Run it until the tank is quite low, stick in the injector cleaner and take it for a blast. Check the breathers and renew the air filter (or remove it entirely for the test)

Barb

Reply to
Bawb

no they did a full cat test that's how you have arrived at a failure, looks like they couldn't be arsed to take the oil temp !!! *if* it fails again and they haven't taken a oil temp ask them to do it again, it does make a difference.

Reply to
reg

On 17 Nov 2006 17:34:28 -0800, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Mattyb:

Change the oil.

Reply to
Alex Buell

Thanks for all the advice guys, cheers.

Matt

Reply to
Mattyb

From what I've read CO mustn't exceed 0.3%. Now as that's measured to 1 decimal place, then 0.4% is a failure. 0.31% is 0.3% to 1 decimal place so it passes.

Reply to
SteveB

Yeah, I understand what your saying Steve. But I guess they just left the 0 out from 0.3(0) for the requirement of max emission. I understand the logic though and may challenge them on it.

Cheers

Reply to
Mattyb

I doubt if their emissions equipment is accurate to 0.01%. Ask to see its calibration records.

Reply to
SteveB

Yeah was going to ask them that if I get a similar reading.

Reply to
Mattyb

Of course it will.

In theory maybe, but for some reason every emissions printout I've seen has had a line for "OIL TEMPERATURE" and then something like "manual" or "bypassed". Presumably they couldn't be bothered putting a temperature probe somewhere...

Reply to
David Taylor