Slant Four

Just wondering why Porsche chose the slant four over a inline four. Are there any advantages about a slant four over the inline configuration? I don't think I've ever seen another engine like this, so I was just curious.

Reply to
Cant start a fire

"Cant start a fire" wrote

I presume you're talking about the 924/944/968...

A slant-4 *is* an inline 4. An engine's placement/orientation has nothing to do with it's configuration. Engines are placed at angles for packaging efficiency and has nothing (or at least very little) to do with anything else about it.

Virtually all I-4 engines in FWD cars are slanted. BMW and Mercedes I-4 engines are slanted. BMW (and old MB) I-6 engines are slanted. The old Chrysler "Slant-6" was (obviously) slanted. A V8 may be thought of as two slant-4 engines joined at the crank and slanted in opposite directions.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Reply to