what did it cost to paint your car!??

Hello, So my beautiful 84 911 Turbo has some pretty nasty blemishes starting. I am thinking it may need to be fully repainted to make it right. First shop that looked at it sorta said the same thing. But I haven't gotten any price quotes yet.

What did you pay to get your car repainted? Any particular process I should be aware of?

Thanks,

Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

what sort of blemishes are you seeing, Adam? If it's rust, you'll need more than a repaint. I'd suggest taking the car to Mike's Autobody, in Malden. He gets his price, but knows what he's doing and has an excellent reputation in the Boston area.

regards,

-- Mark Hald '77 Carrera 3.0L

MH

If the body is straight, there is no rust, and you are doing a partial disassembly, then $8000 would get you an excellent paint job. This is with windows, lights, trim, etc removed. If you want the while body shell done plan on $12-14K. Also, make sure that any shop has worked with Porsches, and knows what a Porsche owner expects. Of course all of this depends on the area in which you live, whether you want bare metal respray, and many other factors. There are some really high profile shops where I live that won't touch a Porsche because the owners a notoriously picky, myself included. I have seen some 3-5k paint jobs that were nice 20 footers.

Reply to
amoscat

If you're getting a same-color repaint with no body issues (rust or accident damage), anywhere from $2500+ is feasible. I'm getting a respray done for under three grand in the same Guards Red. If you're still using the car as a driver, and mine's a daily driver for 6-7 months a year, I can't see spending 60-80% of the car's value on a paint job. That kind of money is for garage queens and concourse competitors. Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel Brown

for $12k you could just buy a new car. sheesh.

Reply to
The Queen of Cans and Jars

I had a car of mine done this spring for $600, and it looks all right. Probably not up to Porsche standars, but the only other quote I had was for $6000, and I only paid $4000 for the car. Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

Reply to
G Larson

Thanks for the tip.. I will check them out. I am in Somerville.

My blemishes arent all that bad. Over all the car looks pretty good

But on the roof there are 2 spots where the paint bubbled and cracked. You can see the metal under the cracks, and its NOT rusting. The same thing has happened on the hood in one spot. AND the same thing is starting in one area on the rear left fender.

The car was repainted before I bought the car. The thought is that the job was done badly.

I would think about doing a partial paint job. BUT... I am no sure it would be a good job.

The car has 49k miles on it. So it seems worth spending SOME money. I dont know about $8-12k

Thanks for all the input.

-Adam

Reply to
Adam Schwartz

If you want to get it done dirt-cheap, Maaco can actually be very good. The quality depends a lot on the specific store, though. I wouldn't trust them to do the prep work, but if you take the emblems off and sand it down, or just pay someone else to do it, Maaco can do a very good job on the painting part. Any shop you consider, I'd recommend stopping there in the morning to see some "before" cars, and then stop back later when the cars are done and see if you like the quality.

Heck, my brother had an old '70 VW Ghia, and another VW guy saw it and said he just couldn't let it drive around with the original faded paint. So he painted it candy-apple red for like $150, and while not being up to perfectionist standards, I was pretty impressed with such a "cheap" paint job. Getting right up to it you could see where the prep work was lacking, but the painting itself looked great, and still looked great years later after being parked outside the entire time.

So, the prep work is the key to an above-average paint job. The painting itself, pretty much anyone can do that. A typical "good" shop should have no trouble doing the whole deal for around $1500.

Reply to
Brad