What am I going to do with this then?

Blasted eBay! Just bought myself a P reg (oldest shape) Mondeo with a long MOT, in excellent condition with no rust or dents for fifteen quid. It doesn't go, of course. Seller said the engine had died, accompanied by a "hiss". Then ran for a few minutes when bump started, only to die again, for ever more. It's a 2 litre, 16 valve, Zetec with just under 80K on the clock. Are these prone to head gasket failure by any chance? I haven't looked at it properly yet, but did notice it has no water in the expansion tank. Dip stick and oil filler cap look healthy, but then I don't suppose it had time to develop any nasty goo. Engine didn't want to turn over on the starter, or when I tried bump starting it while towing it home. Perhaps the bores are full of water and I've just bent the conrods.

Anyway, is it worth bothering, or do I just weigh it in for scrap? Seems a bit of a waste, but then it's not exactly appealing. Any bits worth flogging?

Oh, and one of the CV joints was clicking all the way home.

And the radio's forgotten its code.

Bloody, modern junk.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Yep. They're nice enough when they go, though.

If it's 'dark aubergine' I'd probably buy a couple of electric mirrors off you...

Nearly bought one for £20 (similar but a short MOT runner) off EBay just for the mirrors but had nowhere to break it.

Reply to
PC Paul

"Willy Eckerslyke" wrote

Should have bought my one, ran perfectly, 5 months ticket £36!

Knight Of The Road

Yes, but that assumes I actually want one of the things! I only bid for this one because it was just round the corner and I assumed I'd be outbid and that with a scrap metal value of about 60quid I couldn't lose. Which is my way of saying it seemed like a good idea at the time. The annoying thing is that with 7 cars now littering up the place, this one looks the tidiest and yet is the most likely to be scrapped!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I'll have to take your word for that.

Nah, it's 'orrible white. I think the mirrors are black, but they're not electric anyway.

My wife, reckons I haven't either, but that's just because she's crap at reversing.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

That and cracked heads.

The Zetec motors are now in the same price bracket that Pintos used to be at scrappies. Certainly for the purchase price, I'd throw £100 or so at it.

Reply to
Conor

Good god. That's sickening.

£36 for a perfectly functional estate car?!

The British are nuts. That car would be worth £500 or more in Canada.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

I'm half tempted, just not sure if I want the hassle. Are they easy engines to swap?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

The message from RichardK contains these words:

It's not perfectly functional - it's a petrol manual!

Reply to
Guy King