Wheels for 996

Hi guys !

Just got my new Porsche. 2003 996. Awesome car, huge "upgrade" from my other wise excellent BMW 330 convertible.

Car has got 17" wheels so I'm changing those for 18" or 19".. As far as I can see, 19" is not mentioned in the manual. So then the question. Will they fitt weel ?

Grip, handelling and looks are my motive.

What tyre combination would be better then if I go for 19" ? I would probably as well widen the wheels as well.. Fitting thise "discs" that places the weels further out.

Any ideas and comments ?

Thanks

Reply to
Kam Oe

I have a 2002 Carrera 2 with the optional 18" wheels. There was no factory optional 19" wheel for the 996, but there is for the 997.

When you speak of handling, if you desire to make use of the car's tendency to exhibit trailing throttle oversteer at the extremes of lateral acceleration, most folks would probably stay with the 17" wheel/tire combination since that will allow the rear to get loose a little easier than the larger 18s.

If you want the car to be a little more resistant to get loose in the rear I'd go for an 18" wheel/tire, which I personally thinks looks better than the 17 as well. If you stay with a Porsche wheel all your fitting problems go away.

Try

for more info. This site has forums devoted to specific Porsche models and also tech questions. There are folks over there who have put 19" stuff on

996s, so they should be able to help you if you decide to go that way.

Coming from a BMW to a 996 if you don't understand the concept of trailing throttle oversteer you should be careful about trying to corner the 996 at the limits until you do. While the 996 has had that characteristic muted, the car still carries 60% of its weight on the rear wheels and if you get the rear moving and back out of the gas, the car will oversteer.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

try wheelenhancement.com , they will give you all the info you are looking for.

Reply to
dick

try wheelenhancement.com they will give you all the info that your looking for.

Reply to
dick