Tyres

Any recommendations for a new set of tyres for a Defender 90?

I shall be using them mostly on the road (most of our roads are like B Roads at best in Malta), but want greenlaning capability.

Any brands which are a sure hit? Or which I should definitely avoid?

I had Kellys recommended to me... I have the standard size of wheels currently installed (15"?) with the original tyres. Could you also please recommend a size of tyres?

Reply to
Richard Muscat Azzopardi

On or around 14 Nov 2006 06:52:25 -0800, "Richard Muscat Azzopardi" enlightened us thusly:

If you're not doing any serious mud plugging, then an AT pattern will suit you well.

From my own experience:

Pirelli Scorpion AT on 110 excellent grip on road, wet or dry, a bit lacking in slippery mud. Wore out quite fast; about 16K miles.

Nankang Wide Conqueror on 110 Better in mud, but not a mud tyre, obviously. Gripped OK on road but not quite so good in the wet. Bit better wear than the Pirellis, I think they did a few more miles and cost less.

Avon Ranger AT on disco V8 good road grip, didn't have much chance to see what they were like for wear or off-road as I sold the vehicle.

BF Goodrich AT-KO on disco V8 and TDi Road grip in the wet slightly lacking but make up for it with much longer life. Good off-road, but again, not a full mud tyre. expensive new; better behaved on the TDi than the V8, for some reason.

Colway AT remould on 110: good enough for the price. Similar pattern to the BFG and similar off-road, good grip on-road but didn't last all that long, about 13K miles.

Pirelli Scorpion ST on disco V8: more street bias, intended as an 80/20 on/off road tyre. Surprisingly competent off-road, but obviously limited grip in serious mud. BiL had these on his RR classic and never got stuck, but that's at least partly down to ability and not going silly places.

Original fitment on 90s is either 205R16 or 235/85R16 depending on the age of the vehicle.

You can fit the following:

205R16, 225/75R16, 235/70R16, 255/65R16, are all about the same diameter. going much wider than 235 width is of limited use on a 90 unless you want to go playing in soft mud and need the flotation effect - even on the 110, using 10.5" wide tyres actually worked against you in hard slippery conditions.

7.50R16, 235/85R16 are taller ones. If it was originally on 205s, then the speedo might not be accurate.

You can also get imperial-size 15" tyres, if it's had the wheels changed: most common is 31x10.50R15, which is a bit smaller than a 7.50 in diameter but a lot wider. There are also 30x9.50R15 which come out about the same size as the 205R16.

Up to a point you can fit huge fat tyres, such as 33x12.50R15 or suchlike. More diff clearance for off-roading, but it will definitely make the speedo read wrong.

This group needs a FAQ...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| BF Goodrich AT-KO on disco V8 and TDi Road grip in the wet slightly || lacking but make up for it with much longer life. Good off-road, || but again, not a full mud tyre. expensive new; better behaved on || the TDi than the V8, for some reason.

These get my vote every time.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:22:13 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

Personally, I avoid them on ground of cost and I'm still not 100% with their wet-tarmac ability, which is of prime importance round here.

Cost is important if you go off-road and damage them...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| On or around Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:22:13 -0000, "Richard Brookman" || enlightened us thusly: || ||| Austin Shackles wrote: ||| ||||| BF Goodrich AT-KO on disco V8 and TDi Road grip in the wet ||||| slightly lacking but make up for it with much longer life. Good ||||| off-road, but again, not a full mud tyre. expensive new; better ||||| behaved on the TDi than the V8, for some reason. ||| ||| These get my vote every time. || || Personally, I avoid them on ground of cost and I'm still not 100% || with their wet-tarmac ability, which is of prime importance round || here. || || Cost is important if you go off-road and damage them...

I had them on the P38 and the D1. I estimated the potential mileage at about

35K, and I never damaged them or had a puncture. I was completely happy with their wet performance too.

The Goodyear Wranglers I put on the D2 in May are now 1/3 worn after 6K miles. Just had to fork out over a ton for a new one after Di got a "hole in one" in Carmarthen. I'm not over-impressed. If BFG did them in

255/55/18 I'd swap back tomorrow.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

The General Grabber AT2 is available in 255/55x18. They are, of course, relatively pricey in that size. Craddocks list them at £125 ea. inc VAT.

How do they rate for general use with occasional playdays?

I have wranglers (255/55x18) on my D2. The fronts are down to 3mm and could do with being replaced. The rears are relatively new and the spare is untouched. I am not keen on the Wranglers and would like some alternatives. Just now, I have 16in steel rims on with Colway ATs for playing in. They are a bit vague on the road (could be pressures) but seem good off it and I can replace the entire set, wheels and all, for less than the price of one new alloy and tyre. The ride is noticeably less harsh than the wranglers. I am considering finding a set of 16in alloys to give me a wider choice of cheaper tyres. Any suggestions?

Pete

Reply to
Peter Harrison

On or around Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:29:05 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

what are they like on-road? I know a chap who fitted them to an uber-pickup who reckoned they were lethal, but then that was probably 2WD on road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| Richard Brookman wrote: || ||| I had them on the P38 and the D1. I estimated the potential mileage ||| at about 35K, and I never damaged them or had a puncture. I was ||| completely happy with their wet performance too. ||| ||| The Goodyear Wranglers I put on the D2 in May are now 1/3 worn ||| after 6K miles. Just had to fork out over a ton for a new one ||| after Di got a "hole in one" in Carmarthen. I'm not ||| over-impressed. If BFG did them in 255/55/18 I'd swap back ||| tomorrow. ||| || || The General Grabber AT2 is available in 255/55x18. They are, of || course, relatively pricey in that size. Craddocks list them at £125 || ea. inc VAT.

Yup - saw the first advert for them a week after I had fitted the Wranglers! They're on my serious list for when the Wranglers wear out (which on present form looks like a week on Thursday).

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| On or around Thu, 16 Nov 2006 20:29:05 -0000, "Richard Brookman" || enlightened us thusly: || ||| The Goodyear Wranglers I put on the D2 in May are now 1/3 worn ||| after 6K miles. Just had to fork out over a ton for a new one ||| after Di got a "hole in one" in Carmarthen. I'm not ||| over-impressed. If BFG did them in 255/55/18 I'd swap back ||| tomorrow. ||| || || what are they like on-road? I know a chap who fitted them to an || uber-pickup who reckoned they were lethal, but then that was || probably 2WD on road. --

The Wranglers? Well, they're tyres, I suppose. Nowt special. Good enough.

Reply to
Richard Brookman