16" versus 17" wheels ?

Not really a maintenance issue, but I find that the cars in stock at a local dealership give me a choice of 17" wheels or wait longer for delivery.

Are 17" wheels becoming standard, or are they unpopular for some reason and can't be shifted from sales floors? I seem to remember reading that 16" gave a better ride, but I test drove a Focus with 17s and didn't see a problem.

I would appreciate any comments based on the considerable experience of this group.

Reply to
Gordon H

Not perhaps a direct answer, but it might be worth comparing replacement price for both sizes for the car you are considering.

The lower profile tyres required for the larger wheels will give a harder ride, although possible not unacceptably so. I would be more concerned that hitting one of the many potholes on our roads might be more likely to damage the wheel if low profiles are fitted.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In general, larger wheels = lower profile tyres and below a certain profile such tyres and wheels are "cosmetic" rather than "fit for purpose". By all means go for the bigger wheels if you prefer them but you can't really complain if they buckle when you hit a pot hole when the manufacturer offers you a higher profile option.

If they *only* offered a low profile version then I think you could ague that they might not be fit for purpose in the event of damage.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

some cars go into a different ved bracket with different wheels fitted. I find that the lower profile tyres can give tighter handling, but the ride gets significantly worse, especially noticeable if you regularly drive up kerbs to park or have lots of speed bumps/potholes around. Tyres are quite a lot dearer too.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I ran the "harder ride" issue past the sales guy, and he pointed me at a

17" wheel and it didn't look like the kind of low profile tyre which is popular on hot hatches... On the test drive I chose a "road hump" road and a motorway stretch, and I wasn't aware that 17" wheels were fitted. :-)

The ride over road humps was noticeably easier than in my daughter's Y reg Focus, but not quite as soft as my Mondeo.

Noting the replacement cost, thanks Chris.

Reply to
Gordon H

Thanks Tim, similar to Chris's assessment. I knew I had read a similar comment about the ride/low profile issue but the tyres are not extreme low profile.

The wheels come as part of a free "appearance pack", which includes tinted rear windows. I would never choose this option if I had to pay for it, but as part of a discount deal I don't mind.

Reply to
Gordon H

Worth checking on replacement tyres of both sizes. 'Popular' size tyres tend to be much better value than rarer ones.

In general, on the same vehicle, larger diameter wheels have more expensive tyres which are more easily damaged and give a poorer ride. May give slightly better road holding in the dry. But are mainly a fashion thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dealers order cars for stock to popular specifications. Anything else needs to be factory order.

The overall height of the wheel and tyre combo is the same - so 1" larger rim diameter gives 1/2" shorter sidewall height, which means the tyre can contribute less compliance to the ride. On some cars, and some tyres, that'll be more noticeable than on others. It all depends on how the suspension's set up.

Don't forget to compare tyre prices in the two sizes...

Reply to
Adrian

Salesman in "trying to shift stock before factory order" shock! Hold the front page! What tyre sizes are you looking at?

Reply to
Adrian

17" is fairly normal these days - my 120d 'Sport' came with 17s, as does the 'Urban' trim - only the poverty ES and marginally less poverty SE come with anything smaller - and the MSport comes on 18s.

So I'd not worry too much about it having 17s.

As for the tints - I wouldn't spec. a new car without them now.

Reply to
SteveH

How do you alter the speedo to account for the tyre circumference?..

Reply to
tony sayer

The overall diameter is the same, surely? The difference is made up in the height of the sidewall.

Reply to
Davey

nowadays it is a slight re-program if needed, but as he said, one inch bigger but lower profile is practically the same circumference.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Many new cars come with rims that are too wide for the tyres. It might improve cornering speed on a racetrack but who can guarantee that they will never touch a kerb while parking? The only solution is to put even wider rubber on the rims.

Reply to
Eiron

[...]

And sometimes even smaller circumference.

Reply to
johannes

That's a completely different thing, though.

I thought that was a 'Euro look' thing anyway.

Reply to
SteveH

No, they don't.

Reply to
Adrian

Where _did_ that name come from? Tyre stretch started off in the states. I've never seen it in mainland Europe - especially since many EU countries have TuV-like restrictions that directly dictate what tyres you can fit to what rims to what car...

Reply to
Adrian

But within it. Ergo, the rim was not "too wide" for the tyre. The rim and tyre were an acceptable pairing.

Reply to
Adrian

If on gently touching the kerb while parking the first thing that scrapes is the rim, that's too-wide. And that's how you have to park in London. When you replace them, fit tyres with rim-protector beads.

Reply to
Eiron