Which should I buy?

Have been looking at the Cayman - first time I've ever considered buying a new car. That started me thinking about other possibilities.

I have not kept abrest of Porsche's products for a long time now, so am looking for suggestions.

I drove a 914 for many years, and in many forms. In it's final few years it was supercharged and downright fast. I am looking for similar power and handling. I will drive it hard, in all kinds of conditions, and will most likely own it for 10 plus years. Also need reasonable cargo space, because it will be my main mode of transportation.

Considered:

Install large displacement 6 in the 914, which I still have but which hasn't run in years - very do-able - probably $15,000-20,000. Advantages - very light for excellent power/weight ratio, handles very well (for its vintage), fits me well, lots of trunk space Disadvantages - heater - hard to get power to the ground on wet roads (I live in Oregon)

Used Carerra 4 Advantages - 4 wheel drive to allow more use of the available power - ?? Disadvantages - don't know, is it reliable? - other things to consider?

I have been thinking for a long time that I would want my next car to be 4 wheel drive (AWD - whatever you want to call it) because of the issue of being able to utilize the power under less than perfect conditions. Have considered that I may modify that stand, but it remains a preference.

Any other suggestions?

Reply to
Scott Kelley

I bought a new 2006 Cayenne last November. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made. They create a mystique and expectation which they don't live up to. Mine has a back window that spontaneously shattered. They refused to fix it under warranty the first time. One month later it happened again. The snooty salesman claimed he would stand by the warranty. Ended up in the shop for 10 days. Wouldn't have ever come out had I not called the factory customer care number.

SO service sticks... they don't give you a service loaner on warranty repairs (well it isn't service is it?)... so I was stuck for 10 days.

Finally traced to a defroster unit that wouldn't turn off. Heated the window up real high. When you shut the car down and the window cooled, and it just shattered.

Any car can have a defect... but first they don't believe you... and once they do, they take for ever to correct their issues.... and in the end... they act like they did you a favor.

My advice is by a Lexus.... had one for 3 1/2 years... never a single problem and service was top notch.

Scott Kelley wrote:

Reply to
Mark

Your problem was a dealer problem. Totally different issue. As you say, _any_ car can have a defect, but a dealer defect has nothing to do with the car. Who is the defective dealer? They need to be known.

Reply to
The Dead Senator