944 reliability

I recently bought a boxster, and I love it.

Problem is, I do a lot of biking. So... I kept my old Ford Focus as my "biking car."

But, I'm now Porsche addicted... and I can't really afford a Cayenne (nor would I buy one even if I won the lottery). Therefore, I am looking at some older 944 models. With the hatchback and the cargo room, they'd make fine biking "crew vehicles" if you slap a roof rack on there.

But, the nice thing about the Focus is that I can just toss gas in it and go... I dont have any reliability issues.

What's the reliability, in general, on a decently-maintained 1985-1988 ish 944? Are they prone to problems and issues, or are they as reliable as my boxster has been? I'm looking for general observations. I know that one 944 could be a dud, and the other could run on thumb tacks and lava... so... generally, what kind of maint costs am i looking at for a late 1980s 944?

Reply to
Chowda Hed

I probably can sum it up pretty easily...the 944 is pretty much bulletproof, but, when things need to be done, or something does break, it is a lot more expensive than your typical car.

Reply to
Devils944S2

That makes sense... seems that there are a hell of a lot of 944s still on the road.

I looked at one yesterday, it was a 1987, and it had 87,000 miles on it, and was going for $5K (asking price). But, when I went to look at it, I was horrified! First off, it was automatic transmission. Gag.... , it had an obvious dent - about the size of a silver dollar (the old eisenhower ones) -- which certainly contradicted the seller's description of "excellent condition" (and this was a dealer!)... but none of that was the dealbreaker.

The dealbreaker was that some cheezeball must have owned it before, because the seats were yellow and black flame pattern seats, and there was all this totally cheezy work done to it. It looked like some kid bought it and tried to "pimp" it out, like those cheezeballs who trick out hyundais and dodge neons. I guess if I ever decide that I want to be a 19 year old unemployed loser who calls everyone "dog" or "homey," I could choose this as my porsche of choice.

Ah well... back to the classifieds.

Reply to
Chowda Hed

Try to get hold of a copy of Porsche Panorama (monthly mag of the PCA) - there are cars listed for sale every month in there. You might find a copy at your local Porsche dealer or try

You have to be a member of PCA to access "The Mart" at their site, but these cars might not be so tweaked out if they're offered in Panorama..............

Another place might be

Jim Keenan

Dittos.

The 944 is reliable and easy to work on. Some things do cost Porsche prices but maintenance items (brakes pads, filters, etc.) aren't too bad.

An N/A (naturally aspirated or no turbo) is less likely to have problems than the turbo. That'd be both mechanically and when the go pedal is used.

Devils944S2 wrote:

Reply to
someone