Backup Beeping

I have searched the owner's manual for the 2007 Prius and can't find a way to silence the backup beeping. My 2004 Prius allowed you to do this. Does
anyone know how to disable this pretty much useless feature?
Kim Rogoff wrote: > I have searched the owner's manual for the 2007 Prius and can't find a way > to silence the backup beeping. My 2004 Prius allowed you to do this. Does > anyone know how to disable this pretty much useless feature?
Got my 2006 Prius Sep 1 and also don't like the reverse beep. So, Google is your friend. This worked for mine and a friends 2005 and another 2004.
http://hybridcars.about.com/od/ownership/ht/priusbeepoff.htm
It's a shame the owner's manual isn't available as a .PDF like my Canon and Fuji cameras. The book is as long as a novel but with a lousy story.
FWIW tank 1, 47.7 mpg, tank 2, 52 mpg.
Glenn Gundlach
I haven't tried this myself yet, and it looks like a ridiculous procedure - BUT - Here it is: Dick ******************** How to eliminate Reverse Beep & Seatbelt Beep Step by step instructions on how to eliminate the Reverse & Seatbelt Beeps
Thanks to htmlspinnr for providing and testing out these methods.
Steps:
1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY. IG-ON will do for this purpose. 2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO (not Trip A or Trip B) 3. Power off the car. 4. Now power the car to READY (brake on). This is required so that step 6 works correctly. 5. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10 seconds or more. 6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, shift the "gear" selector from P to R, then back to P. Now release the Trip/ODO button. 7. If the last step was successful, "b on" or "b off" should be displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is normally displayed. "b on" is beep on, and "b off" is beep off. 8. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode. 9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode. 10. Power the car on to READY and confirm the reverse beep status by shifting to R. The beep should not be audible if "b off" was selected, and should be audible if "b on" was selected..
Note: The Repair manual page states that if the the 12v battery is disconnected, the beep will reset to the default of on, and this procedure will need to be performed again. The repair manual also isn't clear that Trip/ODO should remain depressed while shifting.
Additional Note: The driver and passenger seatbelt reminder chime can be disabled or enabled (respectively, defaults appear to be driver on and passenger off) using similar steps. Instead of shifting from P to R to P in step 6, simply buckle then unbuckle the appropriate seatbelt while continuing to depress the Trip/ODO button. ***************************************
Kim Rogoff wrote:

1. Power on (not necessarily ready, IG-ON will do). 2. Set Trip/ODO to ODO (if it's already set to ODO, you still have to cycle through the options: ODO, Trip A, Trip B, and back to ODO). 3. Power off. 4. Power on to ready (brake on). 5. Within 6 seconds, press and hold ODO for 10 seconds or more. 6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* 10 seconds, Shift from P to R, then back to P. Now release ODO. 7. You'll see in the trip display "b on" or "b off". 8. Press ODO to toggle. 9. Now power off.
The Repair manual page says, however, that if you disconnect the 12v battery, you may lose this change. Repair manual also isn't clear that you should be holding down ODO while shifting (or operating seatbelt if you wish to cancel seatbelt buzzers, driver or passenger, using similar steps replacing shifting w/ fastening seatbelts).
FYI: the beep heard when the car is in reverse is only heard inside the car, not outside.
Hope this helps. - Greg
Now Easily Make Your First $50K Online! Videos, More at http://1stBe.com/1st50k

Site Timeline