BMW's going hybrid.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleide192&s_rid=smh:rainbowstrip:content1:31-08:bmw

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleide192&s_rid=smh:rainbowstrip:content1:31-08:bmw Makes perfect sense to me. Why wouldn't anyone who wants superior performance with lower overhead follow Toyota's lead?
Lu R wrote:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?articleide192&s_rid=smh:rainbowstrip:content1:31-08:bmw

Well, if you're bying a BMW, you're probably not that worried about the fact that the extra cost of the hybrid is never paid off by fuel savings. If you're willing to pay $10,000 or $20,000 to feel green, then go for it.
Just don't turn the car over - those upward opening doors would be a problem.
Sylvia.

**Really? How much will petrol cost next month? How about next year? How about in 5 years? 10? The problem with making silly predictions, is that you don't know all the factors. I can promise you thing: Petrol prices are in an upward trend. There is no evidence to suggest that the trend will reverse anytime soon.

**Sure. BMW did't build it for ultimate practicality. It is a concept car.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Trevor Wilson wrote:

Petrol prices would tend to be capped by the price of biodiesel, because although petrol vehicles cannot run on biodiesel, as soon as it becomes clear that the latter fuel will become cheaper than petrol, people will be buying new vehicles that run on it in preference to petrol.
Petrol prices might rise in the short term, but the effect will be self correcting.
I consider it unlikely that petrol prices could rise high enough to offset the extra capital costs of a hybrid car over the life of the vehicle. While a vehicle with low usage will last longer, and therefore be subject to a greater risk of higher petrol prices, the longer use of the extra capital also increases the capital cost.
Overall, I think I'll stand by my point.
Sylvia.

Sylvia,
Look up the amount of biodiesel and/or ethanol that can be produced per acre. Look up the number of acres of tillable land on the planet. Multiply those numbers. Look up the annual consumption of oil. Compare that to your product.
Replacing oil with biodiesel and ethanol is possible, you only have to give up your mean and vegetables.
Was Istoben wrote:

Biodiesel can be produced using algae, and doesn't require tillable land.
http://www.csiro.au/multimedia/Algae-biodiesel-gets-green-light.html
Sylvia.

**Nope. It doesn't work like that on this planet. We have an ever-increasing market for a product whose supply is dwindling. Therefore, prices MUST rise. The only thing to prevent this price rise is an alternative fuel source. There is no practical alternative which can be put into place within 10 years. Bio-Diesel is bullshit. Well, unless we all decide that we don't need food anyway. Bio-Diesel has it's place, but it is not for most transport.

**Again: You are predicting the future. Whilst oil prices will undergo fluctuations, the clear TREND is up. I sure don't know how much it will be next year. As for the 5 year price, that is far less certain.
While a vehicle with low usage will last longer, and therefore

**I suggest you study oil prices.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Trevor Wilson wrote:

Biodiesel produced from algae doesn't displace food production.
Sylvia.

Sylvia. Biodiesel cannot be produced from algae at any meaningful scale.
Was Istoben wrote:

Why not?
Sylvia.

We burn diesel faster than we can grow algae.

According to what I have read and seen about algae being used for bio fuel They claim that algae produces more than ten times bio fuel than other crop sources.

The operative word there is "claim." How much algae has been converted to biofuel to date? If there was anything to that claim, the lake I live on would be harvested for biofuel instead of the soybean field down the road.

What were you saying a few moments ago about understanding economics?
-- Regards, Noddy.

The part you apparently didn't understand? I see you snipped it. Coward.

I snipped it because it was nothing other than a load of hypothetical bullshit you idiot.
-- Regards, Noddy.

No, you snipped it because you are an intellectual coward. I'm amused by the way you run from that which you cannot debate, leaving a few ignorant curses in your wake.

What's to debate?
You're talking about hybrids making economic sense *if* a load of hypothetical conditions existed. You're slamming your ham about shit that *might* happen at some future point and carrying on as if it's important *now*.
No wonder you drive a Prius. You're as dumb as dogshit flavoured ice-cream.
-- Regards, Noddy.

Get back to your BBQ trolley fuckwit, the boyscouts need you for their next sausage sizzle..:)